Starting a new modification. Custom Grill!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Starting a new modification. Custom Grill!

Post by YBajaSteve »

Well a few guys have done things to their grills, but Ive never seen any close up pics to know how they actually made it work, but Ive had this idea for awhile now, and with the weather warming up and school slowing down, I decided to start cutting up my grill. Ive removed it back when I painted it, and noticed some pretty large stress fractures, so now Ill be able to patch those up as well. Ok so heres what it looked like when I finished it last year.
Imagepic 1
These are the beams I planned to cut out with a dremel.
Imagepic 2
So after a year of driving, it has started chipping and needed a repaint, so I decided to finally start my mod...
Imagepic 3
I plan on filling the holes in and then putting some black mesh back there. Still looking for the right type of mesh pattern that I like.
Imagepic 4
Ive never done anything like this, so I hope Im using the right stuff, for now, I went with some plastic weld type of epoxy stuff. I already went thru one tube, need to go get more tonight. and heres my progress. I used the cross member pieces, to fill in the holes. I just outlined them with a marker and then cut them out.
Imagepic 5
and then started epoxying them in place.
Imagepic 6
Imagepic 7
The curve of the piece around the Suby Emblem is going to be the most difficult, hopefully I can get it to work out. I also hope I can sand this stuff down... Its all a learning process for me, so any tips are appreciated! Ill keep you guys posted on my progress!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
YBajaSteve

Re: Starting a new modification. Custom Grill!

Post by YBajaSteve »

well i made some progress today, i was really anxious to see how well the epoxy would sand, and i can say it was quite a work out doing it by hand. but the bottom slab has come out almost perfect, so im seeing some promise.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

definitely eager to see how this comes out.
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

glad to see someone noticed i cut my grill into pieces :D more pics coming soon, im almost to the painting stage
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

Are you going to put a mesh behind it or anything?
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

yeah definately, im just trying to find the right size mesh, i kinda want it to look oem and not too ricey, i like the size of the mesh on the new STI's, looks real clean.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

I saw someone that did a neat modification where they took the honeycomb froom one vehicle and put it into the grill of his subie. Ill see if I can find it again.

BTW nice bondo work!
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

Keep the pics coming, looks like it will turn out fine.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

I think the Subaru emblem should come off and you should put a single oval PIAA driving light!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

or better yet, a single driving light WITH a Subaru emblem. Then it will be like the bat signal...you know, but with Subaru.
slow03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by slow03 »

Any updates? I am getting ready to do the same....
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Well, I do have some more progress, but since the weather has been bad, i havent been able to do my sanding outside, (since i dont want plastic dust covering my house) ill throw the newest pics up here. I also made the mistake of using a different brand epoxy, halfway thru the project, so im hoping it bonds as nicely and sands down ok. We will see.

I was really hoping i would be able to fill in those holes around the emblem and make them look curvy, so i used some of the down pillar to fill it in, and the curve is almost perfect..

I should have final sanding done this weekend if the weather holds up!!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

Any more progress on this project?
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

well currently im being lazy. coupled with the fact that i found out i have to sell my Baja at the end of summer, ive slowed down on this project alot :( Ill get it done tho!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

Whhaaaaa!!!!!! sell the baja? what for?