Thinking about getting a Baja...known/common issues?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

bond1973
Scoobytruck Lurker

Thinking about getting a Baja...known/common issues?

Post by bond1973 »

Hey all...I'm currently an Outback Wagon owner and am looking to replace my car. My wife hates my wagon (appearance) but likes the Baja...I like both. My OBW is a 1999 with a 2.5 4cyl in it and it's common for them to have head gasket issues. Well...I'm wondering what to watch out for with the Baja's. I'm looking at a 2005 with 123k on it. Have also seen a 2004 and 2003 I've considered. Any input would be great! Have loved the subaruoutback.com forums...hoping to see more of the same here, especially if I end up purchasing one.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Thinking about getting a Baja...known/common issues?

Post by Zooom »

1stly...welcome aboard!

if you have had the Outback for as long as you have, then any inherant known problems, you already know about...the 2.5 head gasket issue seems to rear it's ugly head moreso when the additive from Subaru( or some equivilant) isn't used when doing a coolant flush...my 05 Turbo isn't the highest milage one on the block ( just turned 60K), but it has been pretty damn trouble free...(knocking on wood)....
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

03's are still subject to the head gasket problem but like zooom said if you use the subaru additive it should be ok.
04's the auto on the turbos are a little iffy programing wise, get it reflashed with the 05+ software and it should be ok, n/a's are safe.
05-06 either n/a or turbo should be safe, subaru finally got it right and then of course dropped the model, mileage shouldn't matter if the maintance is good.

(this is just from what i've gathered over the years. your mileage may vary as every year has its lemons and my words should be taken with a gain of salt. :roll: )
craz z
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by craz z »

05-06 either n/a or turbo should be safe, subaru finally got it right and then of course dropped the model, mileage shouldn't matter if the maintance is good.
Yeah the 05 and pretty much any turbo's are at serious risk of engine failure. I'm shocked more haven't experienced this problem. Had 2 baja's and turbo's are trashed and engines need to be replaced.

If you have one or are getting one this is a must read.
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61689
BAJAMediC
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BAJAMediC »

I have an 03 baja and i've heard from several intelligent subaru dorks that the additive for the rediator isn't nessassary because most radiator fluids have additives to keep the gaskets in the head OK, my baja is @ 90,124 miles and i plan to use it till its dead, im trying to figure out if i should just replace the head or what? cause i can do the head.... but im so lazy....
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

Zooom wrote:1stly...welcome aboard!

if you have had the Outback for as long as you have, then any inherant known problems, you already know about...the 2.5 head gasket issue seems to rear it's ugly head moreso when the additive from Subaru( or some equivilant) isn't used when doing a coolant flush...my 05 Turbo isn't the highest milage one on the block ( just turned 60K), but it has been pretty damn trouble free...(knocking on wood)....
I've heard Subaru's are bad about blowing head gaskets. 60K miles on mine, so far so good...

I had the dealership change the coolant at 30K miles when I had it in for it's checkup. I normally do fluid changes myself. What's this additive your talking about that's suppose to prevent head gasket failure?

I bought a 1996 5.0l V8 Ford Explorer last summer and we drove it to Philly and back and didn't have to add any coolant but the engine started leaking coolant if it sits for a few days. Further investigation appears to be the headgaskets. So now I'm gonna have to pull the heads on this thing. But wait!

The same stuff (Sodium silicate) used to crap out these Explorer motors during the cash for clunkers deal is also found in coolant stop leak. But only in a small amount. Not the Barr's stop leak but the tube of powered stuff. I put some in my Explorer and 10,000 miles later still no leaks and the hearter works fine.

So I'm wondering if this additive that Subaru sells contains the same stuff as the $2.00 stop leak?
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB