Serious Engine Failure followed by more trouble...

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

BajaGermany
Scoobytruck Lurker

Serious Engine Failure followed by more trouble...

Post by BajaGermany »

Hi together,
some days ago, my Baja starts to have a loud knocking noise from the engine, also to feel on th clutch-pedal, occuring while accelerating. I took it to my subaru-shop and they found some metal-chippings in the oil and for sure there are one ore more bearings broken, probably crankshaft, as ist is feelable through the clutch... :cry:
So i hooked up a new shortblock and oilpump and let it be swapped. After starting the engine, the camshaft-sensor failed too, and has been replaced meanwhile. :roll:
But there is still a problem: engine starts fine and also is fine while cold. But when temperature reaches about 70° Celsius, it starts to idle bad, CO reaches 10 % and cylinder 1,2 and 4 are much to fat. Nobody in the shop and at Subaru Germany has any idea what the prpblem could be! :?
Everything possible, esp. ignition-parts and IAT has been changed without result.
Any idea? Anyone?
Regards and thanks for answer,
Chris
Baja Sport MT with LPG
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Serious Engine Failure followed by more trouble...

Post by Zooom »

a silly question?....was a used, remanufactured, or new short block asembly?

and if used or remanufactured, was it from a different model car or specifically for/from a Baja?
BajaGermany
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaGermany »

As I wrote: a new shortblock. And as all N/A-2,5-Shortblocks MY 99-04 (Baja 02-06) are the same, it makes no difference?
And meanwhile the problem was found: some bad connections at one of the two main-electrical-connectors to the engine. Seems, that there was no or bad connection to the crankshaft and/or camshaft-sensors...
Engine runs fine now after cleaning both connectors twice (and with the old camshaft-sensor, too).
Regards,
Chris
Baja Sport MT with LPG
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

glad it all worked out for ya.

when you said new, I have heard people say new, because it wasn't the one origional to the car even though it is a used or reman or otherwise, hence why I asked what I did. Anyways!, keep on truckin!
BajaGermany
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaGermany »

Ah, I see! Thx! It was really a brand new one, I hooked it up directly at Subaru Germany in Friedberg, only a few kilometers from wehre i live... :)
Thanks again and best regards
Chris
Baja Sport MT with LPG