Possible Power Steering Pump Failure?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

OkeefenokeeJoe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Possible Power Steering Pump Failure?

Post by OkeefenokeeJoe »

Hi Guys. I'm new to this forum, but I'm an old veteran Baja owner. I purchased my 2003 Baja new in June 2003 through CarsDirect.com. At the time of my purchase, the Baja was brand new on the market and no one knew what it was. It was neat to see their reaction as I drove down the road and around town. In fact, I overheard one lady, when she saw my Baja parked outside a store, tell her daughter, "Look dear, there's the new El Camino." I currently have 135,000 miles on the odometer with only routine maintenance. Since new I have always run nothing but Mobil 1 10W40 synthetic oil, with changes every 5,000 miles, including filter.

My question to this forum is regarding the power steering. Just recently, on initial start-up, I hear a loud "squeal" emanating from underneath the hood. In addition, the steering is difficult and jerky as I attempt to back out of the driveway. However, after initial start up, and once the Baja is underway, the issue disappears.

Tell me, does this sound like a developing power steering pump failure, or a power steering pump pulley failure? The power steering fluid is in the normal range.

Also, if you agree that the power steering pump may be on the decline, where is the best online source for Baja parts?

Thanks for any input, suggestions, and/or recommendations.

OkeefenokeeJoe
Savannah, GA
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Possible Power Steering Pump Failure?

Post by Zooom »

1st off, welcome Joe!

my intial question is, have you ever had the fluid changed/serviced/flushed ?
OkeefenokeeJoe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by OkeefenokeeJoe »

Zoooom ...... I had a major service performed at the local stealership at 102,000 miles. If they followed the checklist for major service, then it included changing the power steering fluid as well.

OkeefenokeeJoe
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

have you looked at the drive belt?

sorry if I am asking the KISS questions....
Nitro350Z
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Nitro350Z »

Check the belt, sounds like it's a bit loose. If you haven't yet, I'd change the accessory belts aswell.

As for parts online, I've used http://www.subaruparts.com/parts.php before without problem. If you choose the part lookup service, it redirects to http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... eid=214857.
OkeefenokeeJoe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by OkeefenokeeJoe »

Thanks guys ...... The belt does feel a little loose, but it, too, was replaced at the 102,000-mile service. I'll tighten it up and see what happens; however, I have this sickening feeling that there's more to this story.

Oh yeah ...... thanks for the link to on-line Subaru parts. I plan on driving my Baja for at least two more years, so I'm sure, at the current mileage of 135,00 miles, it won't be long before parts will need replacing.

OkeefenokeeJoe
Savannah, GA
2003 Baja Classic
das_fool
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by das_fool »

OkeefenokeeJoe, had the same problem with my bu. Turns out that it was the belt, the locking nut was loose and any tension would make the belt jump and squeal. Just had to tighten the belt and lock it down. Its been about a month and no issues. Hopefully it's something simple in your case too.