Need HELP Wiring Backup Camera for poor ARE Visibility

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Need HELP Wiring Backup Camera for poor ARE Visibility

Post by davecoon13 »

My wife backed the Baja into her sister's Mazda Tribute, blaming the poor visibility caused by the ARE Cap. No damage to the Baja, but it cracked the Mazda taillight lens.

So, I ordered this $50 Backup Camera based on the best reviews of sub $100 cameras.

1. Do you think I will still be able to fold open the lisence plate if I put this on the plate? It looks small enough, I guess I will find out when it arrives.

2. How does the Subaru "switched ground" affect wiring?

3. Has anyone else put a backup camera on the Baja?
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Need HELP Wiring Backup Camera for poor ARE Visibility

Post by Zooom »

my .02 on this is not so much on the mod itself, but moreso in commentary on backup camera systems...they seem to be only as good as the user as they are all generally a convex fishbowl lens which can really do a number on somebody if they don't have the depth perception to understand what they are seeing, which in many cases can be compounded by the screens they use...so consider the equipment in this whole equation seriously...

that being said...I'd see about running the wire on the backside of the bed liner bits and mount it in one of the tailights...which I'd think would be pretty handy and neat.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Need HELP Wiring Backup Camera for poor ARE Visibility

Post by davecoon13 »

I installed the camera. There was a plastic trim piece immediately above the rear license plate that I removed and I mounted the camera directly on the tailgate above the plate. I ran the wires inside the tailgate and under the bed liner to the transmitter, which I still haven't attached. The camera works great so far. Since it is tied to the reverse light, whenever I put the car in reverse it automagically comes on.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper