Transmission slipping?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jewmont3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Transmission slipping?

Post by jewmont3 »

I Just bought an 05 turbo baja a couple weeks ago. I am doing mostly city driving right now but whenever I am at higher speeds I am getting a slipping feeling. Starts at about 55-60mph with about a 1/4 of the throttle down. More noticeable going up hill. It feels like its almost losing traction but its not. Like the tranny is slipping or the converter is locking, unlocking...(its an auto). Anyone have any ideas or have felt this? Its slight, but noticeable to me.

-Mike
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

First response is check fluid level.
jewmont3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jewmont3 »

Fluid is full, looks and smells new. Only does this when excellerating slowly above 55mph. Full throttle is fine, cruising is fine. Very strange...
jewmont3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jewmont3 »

forgot to tell the miles but its 30k. I still have 6k on the warranty and the 90 from the dealership I bought it from. I just wanted a better idea of what may be going on before I take it in. Its so slight and in such a niche speed and throttle position I am afraid they will say they cant feel it. I definitely notice it and have since the day I drove home with it.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Well...

I have a slight sort of surging/hesitating under similar conditions in my '05 A/T. Only when cold, only before TC locks up. Could be diagnosed as a slipping tranny, I suppose, but clearly it's not because it's only at light throttle (jump on it and the issue clears immediately). I write it off to an engine management quirk, but haven't really pursued it. Is this similar to what you're seeing?

If your condition is when hot and TC locked, it could possibly be a TC malfunction (not sure that's likely). I had a Dodge pickup with a malfunctioning TC a few years ago that exhibited a sort of similar thing. Tech had to come for a ride with me with his handheld scanner plugged in and him fiddling to figure out what I meant and what was happening. Replaced TC under extended factory warranty, situation resolved.
jewmont3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jewmont3 »

Sounds like the same issue but it does it all the time. I am never driving 55 mph plus when the vehicle is cold. I was thinking more converter as well. and your right its only under light throttle but still accelerating. Clears up if just cruising or giving more throttle.

- Mike
slagman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Transmission slipping?

Post by slagman »

My AT Baja makes a loud clicking/cracking noise when shifting btwn 2nd and 3rd accelerating fast or uphill after car is warmed up. Sounds like someone is cocking a shotgun. Brought it to the dealer 4 times they think i'm crazy so i took the mechanic out with me and he heard it. They said leave the car for a few days (i left it for a week) when i picked it up the mechanic wouldnt talk to me and the lady at the desk said nothing is wrong w/your car. ????
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

my 03 AT has the same twitch but its around 40mph under lite throttle like the trans can't decide whether it wants 3rd or 4th gear.
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

slagman wrote:My AT Baja makes a loud clicking/cracking noise when shifting btwn 2nd and 3rd accelerating fast or uphill after car is warmed up. Sounds like someone is cocking a shotgun. Brought it to the dealer 4 times they think i'm crazy so i took the mechanic out with me and he heard it. They said leave the car for a few days (i left it for a week) when i picked it up the mechanic wouldnt talk to me and the lady at the desk said nothing is wrong w/your car. ????
What year/trim is your Baja? The early 2004 Baja Turbos w/ 4EAT auto SportShifts are pretty notorius for a noisy upshift between 2nd and 3rd. After years of searching I've just given up. From what I understand some early `04 Foresters do the same (they share the same transmission with the Baja turbo) It was a new revision of the 4EAT and ours were some of the early versions of that. I know it's a TCU computer problem; when I disc. the battery for an hour plus, I have NO noisy upshifts or slippery downshifts between gears 2 and 3.

I also feel very slight hesitation or tremmors when the TC is locked and cruising up a hill or under a load on the highway and light to moderate throttle. I've heard this is common as well.
slagman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by slagman »

i have an 05 turbo. the noise occurs even when i use the sport shift. hope its not major.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

I would look into resetting you ecm. The ecm 'learns' how you drive and makes adjustments on how it governs based on that information. It possible that that may be the cause of the noise, possibly. I couldnt find the a link on the actual method of doing this, but as I recall you just have to disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, but do some searches and youll probably be able to find something about it.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »