Disabled my DRL's. IT worked!!! :)

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Disabled my DRL's. IT worked!!! :)

Post by YBajaSteve »

Well for us Baja Sport owners with the single headlight houseing with dual filiments, The instructions on scoobymod :
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showth ... #post13400

"OK... For a non-GT 2000-2004 Legacy (single element headlamp), un plug the same white wire harness as the instruction for the GT model (dual element headlamp). Now as it says on the GT you can leave it un-plugged, sadly this doesn't work on the single element headlamps (L & L SE). What you need to do is with the white harness unhooked, clip the blue/black wire & tape off the cut ends. Then plug the white wire harness back in. Doing this retains all current light function but does disable the DRL."

>>>This does in fact work for anyone who was kinda uneasy about cutting the Blue-Black stripped wire, and now I dont have anymore DRL's!! Thats fun. Now comes the HID's!!!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Disabled my DRL's. IT worked!!! :)

Post by gifters »

Thats fantastic Steve, I think I'm gonna go to Radio Shack and See if they have a couple connectors and have two options, one on and the other off so if you want to change you just unplug it from a connector taped to the wire or plug it into the wire for simple switches... label the whole deal and be set. Have you figured out how to make the fog lights run with the headlights off and with the high beams on?
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Nah, I havent spent much time on the lighting after I did my lights on my roof basket. I definitely wanted to figure out the independent fog light thing, and i think i read through some posts where people had figured it out, but it must not have been simple enough for me to go out and do immediatly... If you do it, post a -how to- up here!!!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Actually... I have a better idea, I'm thinking about putting a switch right where the coin tray is on the center console to Cut the DRL... it seems like it would be pretty simple to just open and close the circuit... am I missing anything here?

Something that lights up red/green?

or maybe just green to match the cars interior lighting

unless of course your interiour is blue
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Here's how I did mine on my '05 Baja Sport.

EASY WAY:
If you look up under your steering wheel into the dash you will see a bunch of plugs. Look for a large white one right behind a black one. There is a Blue wire with a black stripe on it. Cut the wire (pics below). ALL DONE!

REVERSIBLE WAY:
Same as above except you'll need to strip a bit of the black tape holding all the wires together back to expose more of the blue/black wire. Take some of those wire ends that you can plug in and out at will (can be picked up in most any wiring section at stores) and put them on the ends.

@Gifters - I personally wouldn't go as far as switches and more wire. I don't think you would be switching your DRLs on and off very often (you can just turn on your lights when you want :)) I would just do the reversible method above if you ever plan on trading/selling your car so the next owner can have the option and it might not take a hit on value. The choice is yours though and best of luck to your decision!

Refenence pics:

gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

The reason I was thinking about cutting my DRL is because when I go hunting I want to cut my lights completely as I'm driving in the field... otherwise I want them on for me and others who I privilege with the honor of driving my car :D
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

maybe you could just put a switch inline, under the dash, so you could just reach up and flip it when you wanted. I agree with thacrudd, adding more wiring and running it all the way out, then having a big switch installed somewhere would be overkill in my opinion. but it should/would be as easy as just putting a switch in there, id assume. just make sure u cut the right wire... cut the red..... no the blue...... umm...... :mrgreen:
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

gifters wrote:The reason I was thinking about cutting my DRL is because when I go hunting I want to cut my lights completely as I'm driving in the field... otherwise I want them on for me and others who I privilege with the honor of driving my car :D
okay, call me goofy, but I am getting this image of you pulling into the woods with your lights off and the sunroof open and you see a target and stand up through the sunroof with your rifle of choice and take aim and either hit the target of choice or blow the bajeezuz out of old man so-and-so's scarecrow in his cornfield.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

lol... thats one way to hunt... not mine but its a way... No, generally I'll meet others out in the field and when you pull up it would be nice to cut the head lights ... it also lets you park closer to where you're hunting so you don't have to hike in as far and more importantly carry your game out as far. Don't want to spoke the deer and turkeys.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

So if I was going to use an illuminated switch... I'd like to know the best way to wire it with the DRL wire to iluminate the switch... Either that or I'll just bypass the illumination. The three connections are earth, load, and supply my man question is for the DRL which side is the load and which one is the supply, I assume I can ground the switch anywhere metal on the car.

Thanks for the advice
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

since subbies do that wierd ground goes to the switch thing, you might find out that the wire is actually not live at all, but if it is actually the hot wire, id say just try it hooked up both ways, load and supply, an when the switch lights up with the DRL's off, then youve got it right... :) thats what i would do...
SCF
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SCF »

'03 Classic with the two bulb setup.

Yanked the white connector and *poof* no more DRLs! Everything else works just fine!

woowoo! [smilie=666.gif]
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

hmmm, that didn't work with mine, I had to cut the blue black wire, but I wired it to a switch I ended up placing in the coin tray by the fuse box. Mine is an '03 as well, check to make sure your lights work when you switch them on, if they turn on.... I don't know what to tell you except you're special.
SCF
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SCF »

Oh, I'm special alright. [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif]

Yup, checked everything else out. Low beams...high beams...fogs. All good. I thought the wire cutting version of the mod only deal with the baja's with the 1 bulb setup.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Ahhh two bulb setup... maybe I'm special because I can't read.... well either that an I saw 03 and was like... but that didn't work for me. That didn't come from the factory like that did it?