*..Emergency Brake Cable..*

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

bakerman1
Scoobytruck Lurker

*..Emergency Brake Cable..*

Post by bakerman1 »

My driverside emergency brake cable broke and I am wondering how do I replace the cable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken

I have an 03 sport
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: *..Emergency Brake Cable..*

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Normally it is run from the back of the brake handle down through a tube out to the underside of the car and back to where bolts to the cables on the rear end. Normally it is the big cable from the hand brake that breaks.

Usually there is a nut holding it in place on each end.

Remove hand brake cover and there should be one. Remove and save nut.

Feed cable down and out bottom of car noting where it came out.

Unbolt where this cable terminates on the rear end/wheels. Unbolt.

Reverse with new cable. I would put some grease on where it goes in through the car to the hand brake.

I have not had to do one on my Baja yet or I would be more specific. I have done my Bug twice, a Nova, a Trans Am and a Chevy C2500 Truck.

Not a big deal on them. Just go slow.

For more details get the Hayes Manual for our car.

[smilie=666.gif]
Turbo
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Re: *..Emergency Brake Cable..*

Post by jseabolt »

I've adjusted/replaced the emergency brake cables on my Fiats but not my Baja. On those cars it's easy because you can lift the entire rear end off the ground with a jack then adjust the cable to where you cannot turn the wheels by hand.

With the Baja, I'm not sure where to lift it. Where's a safe lifting point on the rear?

Today I noticed the handle takes a maximum of 9 clicks on the Baja before it stops. The parking brake holds but just barely at the 9th click. I think when I had the car serviced at 30K miles, the dealer adjusted it to where it would catch around 3-4 clicks.

Now that I have a shop manual for it I discovered the adjustment nut is under the cup holder. Thacrudd sent me a rubber replacement for my cup holder so I figured I'd kill two birds and do both at the same time.

How many clicks is usually required to engage the rear brakes?
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB