Change font size

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Baja Tips and Tricks (STAY ON TOPIC!)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:38 pm 
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

As requested, this is a sticky "Baja Tips Only" thread. All other posts or replies that aren't tips will be removed. Thank Atomic Baja for the birth of this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:37 am 
Scoobytruck Contributer

I changed the trany/rear diff fluid at 15k the shop who did it suggested the rear diff be changed at 10k because of the small amount of fluid it holds and how much it heats up.

it only takes a little so a bottle will go two changes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:16 pm 
Scoobytruck Contributer

What fluid did you use? I want to change the front and rear, but the dealer said no big deal..... I didnt need to change it really....

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:27 am 
Scoobytruck Contributer

Amsol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:39 pm 
Scoobytruck Lurker

I made a photo tutorial for changing the oil in the Baja - I have heard a few people ask questions in the past - so I decided to document my last change.

Here is the link

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathan.ma ... kOilChange

I will be adding one for installing a Cold Air Intake on a 2003 Baja NA

Hope this helps those of us that normally don't change our own oil.

Jonathan

PS As always, comments are welcome

Post subject: Re: Baja Tips and Tricks (STAY ON TOPIC!)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:02 am 
Scoobytruck Lurker

Nice write-up on changing the oil. I need instruction on changing the manual trans fluid or the gear fluid. I've change other regular fwd manual gear oil but how different is this AWD to the other standard FWD. Please post or direct me to the site if you know one. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:57 am 
Scoobytruck Master

Sport Activity Lights not working and found a relay in the spot the instructions give you? Here's what to do:

Problem : You got a nice sport activity light kit and you go to install the relay under the dash and you can't find a plug and there's already a relay in it's place.

Solution : It ends up that a lot of the kits were built for earlier model Bajas and they changed some stuff about the relays. If you already have a relay with a green plug in the place it tells you to put the new one, that's the Fuel Pump Relay, not the light relay. You have to go to a Subaru Dealer and get a new relay from the parts department. Mine costed $13.00 but I've read from others any where from $10 to about $40.

The relay's part number you need is 82501AE03A

Here's what it looks like:

You have to plug it into the empty spot under the fuse panel behind the crap catcher under the steering wheel, as shown by the red arrow (I removed the lower dash panel so you can see it better):

At first glance it looks like the relay will not fit but it does!

Just pop it in and you're good to go. I was able to put mine in by removing the crap catcher and plugging it in from the underside, but it is definitely easier to get to with the entire lower dash panel removed.

The relay they supplied to you can still be used though! It is the same relay as the Fuel Pump Relay that has the green plug so keep the extra one in case your fuel pump realy goes out.

http://scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1227
http://www.youtube.com/user/thacrudd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:45 pm 
Scoobytruck Lurker

changing manual tranny fluid is very similar to changing front or rear differential fluid. most manuals have a drain plug and a fill plug located together on the same side. They will either be a plug that you stick a 3/8 drive rachet in as the tool to lossen or tighten (remember lefty loosey righty tighty) a plug that you use an allen wrench to take out or a plug that usually takes a 1/2 wrench to remove. Remove bottom plug and drain. be sure to clean the bottom plug well. It will have magnet on it to collect any metal debris that might accumulate due to wear'n tear. Let it drain completely. Replace bottom plug and torque properly. Remove top plug and fill(will OEM recomended gear oil) until it is draining out the hole. ( I recommend to go and buy a small hand pump that is sold at Wally World in the boat section for outboard motor foot oil replacement. It will screw directly on to the gear oil bottle and you can pump the oil into the gearbox.)Let it drain until it stops dripping, just incase you over fill it. Then reinstall the plug and torque properly. !Note The front diff on a Baja takes different oil than the automatic tranny does. I could recommend what oil, but everyone likes different brands. But just make sure it meets OEM requirements. Hope this helps someone... :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:31 pm 
Scoobytruck Master

I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:27 am 
Scoobytruck Contributer

if you decide to change the cabin air filter, there are some good Youtube videos on the subject. However there is one caveat that I would add.

Remove the little plastic retaining clip/screw thingie from the center kick panel FIRST. Because once you release the glovebox (the first step in the video) it will be hanging down and in your way so you'll be popping it back into place just to get some room to work if you did it later like the videos suggest.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:13 pm 
Scoobytruck Lurker

Zombaja wrote:
if you decide to change the cabin air filter, there are some good Youtube videos on the subject. However there is one caveat that I would add.

Remove the little plastic retaining clip/screw thingie from the center kick panel FIRST. Because once you release the glovebox (the first step in the video) it will be hanging down and in your way so you'll be popping it back into place just to get some room to work if you did it later like the videos suggest.

Is there any aftermarket brand of cabin air filter that is washable and reusable?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]