Sports Lights for Baja

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Sports Lights for Baja

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Well I have two questions regarding the roof rack mounted lights.
1. Has anyone wired these so they can be on when driving. I would like more lights on our Baja when running off road up to my buddies Ranch to avoid rocks, cows, ruts. As they see to only work when parked.
2. Has anyone wired in two more lights (4 total) and if so how did you do it

Thanks for any help you provide.
Turbo
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Sports Lights for Baja

Post by yellowblaze »

We didn't wire them to use while driving, but if you click the e-brake up one click they will work and it doesn't seem to engage the e-brake. We've done it two or three times while driving and it didn't seem to engage at all. Found that trick from someone else with the lights, so it must be common that one click up doesn't really do much to engage it.

The lights aren't exactly plug and play, but they are pretty easy to install, and the wiring is there to plug into, so it was easier to just use the factory wiring and click the e-brake up one.
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Well I got it for a few hours from the wife (it is her car) and so I decided to start the inside part of the install.

Instructions that it came with were very ruff. Not anywhere near the quality I get with Mazda parts instructions. But with the legacy manual I figured it all out.

Two issues I found were that the left vertical screw up into the head unit box was a real bitch to break loose. Also you need to disconnect the heater door cable and it is not show where or how in the instructions.

The console arcs in and there is no room below it to push it up while you turn causing the screw driver to pop out when you try to loosen this screw. I had to get my son to push up on it while I turned it with a 3/8 socket screw ratchet to break it loose. It was extremely tight. Sumo Wrestler installer?

The instructions mention disconnecting a cable but fail to tell you where or how. It is the heater cable and it is under the dash on the passenger side.

The kit came with a new box but it turns out it is the same one as the one stock which could have been re-used after you pop the plug out where the switch goes. Seems a waste.

When the rains stops I will have to remove our hard cover and do the back install.
Turbo
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Okay so this weekend I put the rest of the kit on.

Here is my issue. No light.. Push the switch, parking brake on no light. :cry:

Now here is the odd thing. When I pulled the panel under the steering wheel to mount/plug in a relay switch I found that there was already a relay there with the plug inserted into it. :?:

Install seemed to be normal.

Any suggestions on how find out where it went wrong?
Turbo
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

Well I had the same problem when I got my baja. . . That same night I wanted to test the sport lights out while driving down some trails. But it was not working unless I was in park ... I was a littel upset. So I went back the next day with a picture off a subaru site showing a Subaru Baja driving with the top lights on. .. I said "is this false advertiseing ?" I want to be able to do that as well... So they told me its a wire within the E Brake that they have to cut.. So they did and it worked out ever since.
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

I did this way back in 06 when I first got the lights. You have to clip the ground to the brake and connect it to another ground source... eg the permanently connected ground on the switch, then it will work permanently without the stupid break light on the dash being on.

I can get the pin numbers if you need them. PM me
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

i just got some hella 500's (the same as the "Baja" ones) and I plan on wiring them so I can turn them on anytime i want, but i have one question, Is there wiring already ran from the top of the truck into the cab? I looked at the install manual from the subaru website (which has every manual for every accessory btw) and it doesnt really show me where the pre wired portions are. I want to use the prewired portions just as much as i can, then Ill do all the rest, and if a wire is already ran into the cab, that would be ALOT of help, any info??????? pics???
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

NewToSubies wrote:i just got some hella 500's (the same as the "Baja" ones) and I plan on wiring them so I can turn them on anytime i want, but i have one question, Is there wiring already ran from the top of the truck into the cab? I looked at the install manual from the subaru website (which has every manual for every accessory btw) and it doesnt really show me where the pre wired portions are. I want to use the prewired portions just as much as i can, then Ill do all the rest, and if a wire is already ran into the cab, that would be ALOT of help, any info??????? pics???

There is wiring from the dash to the passenger side bed wall and more on the roof brake light cover that the Baja light kit has wiring that plugs in the bed and also at the brake light loom and runs under the side rail to the front bar and then another connecting the two lights to that one. It is all in the kit.
Turbo
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

yeah thats what i was asking since I dont have the kit. i just wanted to know where the prewired Wires are so i can use them in my install to make things easier
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

NewToSubies wrote:yeah thats what i was asking since I dont have the kit. i just wanted to know where the prewired Wires are so i can use them in my install to make things easier

Go on Ebay and I got mine Factory new in box for $70.

Included everything.

Only issue is that I have found that it did not work due to it being for a 2003 only when sold as 2005-2006 model kit. Missing 1 relay that I have now ordered for $14. I will pickup Saturday. Problem noted above seems to be solved. Will update this weekend.

Makes the install very simple. Hardest part was the 2 vert screws under head unit stack as the curve of left side and very tight screw made it very hard to break it loose. Hard cover needs to be removed but mine was not hard just took a little time to take off and put on.

Now if the guy above will pm me with the pin I need to ground to make them work when switched on as I want to use them when driving off road.
Turbo
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

Well I picked up the relay and presto the lights are on.

Well I am still ahead that buying them through the dealer 87 dollars vs nearly 300 from the dealer.
Turbo
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Having a similar problem.... Followed the instructions and tested the lights manually by running wires straight to the battery and they work. I plugged in the switch, and like you I found 2 relays already there when I went to plug mine in. One relay with the green plug going into it is the fuel pump relay, I don't know what the other one is. parking brake on, no lights up top. I noticed that when I turn my lights on the "sport light" letters light up but when I push the button the orange indicator light doesn't come on. Also, my instructions don't say any thiing about disconnecting a wire... Any thoughts guys?

EDIT: Found out after piecing together info from different posts that I had an older kit that doesn't come with the relay for my 05 Baja. I will post instructions with pics in the "tips and tricks" sticky at the top of the topic list in this forum to get it working!
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

Alpha Wolf wrote: Go on Ebay and I got mine Factory new in box for $70.
Wow. I just bought mine for $190 on ebay. I guess I should have looked around more but it was the only one I found. I just want to get them installed! :mrgreen: