Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Tires--can you recommend replacement tires?

Post by Caaron »

Thanks, I'll check them out. I was looking at the Continental Conti Extreme Contact, which I've used on my other vehicles with great success. I'll take a look at the ones you recommended.

Chuck
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Caaron wrote:Time for new tires on my Baja. Anyone replace their original tires with some they liked better? I'm interested in hearing opinions about tire brands before I buy new ones.

Chuck
How many miles do you have? (Are you on the factory tires?)
Honda_Fan
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Honda_Fan »

When my B-Stones wear out I will replace them with BFG Traction TA's. I had those on my Volvo 850 and they were great tires. Nice quiet ride, excellent traction in all weather conditions.
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

They are the factory tires--Bridgestone Potenzas. I have about 23,000 on them. They still have some tread on them but I ride them hard. I figured I'd get a new set between now and next winter.

How many miles do you have? (Are you on the factory tires?)[/quote]
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I have the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds as well. Looove those tires. Talk about some nice road grip! Great in the snow too! :D
BorlaBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BorlaBaja »

I'm using the Toyo Open Country H/T tires. There pretty sweet.
BorlaBaja '03 Subaru Baja- K&N CAI, Borla Headers, 2.5 inch cat back w/ Thrush Turbo Muffler, 16x7 TSW TrackStar rims, Toyo Open Country H/T/ tires
BorlaBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Offroad tires for Baja?

Post by BorlaBaja »

Toyo Open Country H/T has a 215/65/16 tire. It's currently what I run on my Baja, it looks pretty agressive but it handles very well and you can do a fair amount of trail riding without any problems.
BorlaBaja '03 Subaru Baja- K&N CAI, Borla Headers, 2.5 inch cat back w/ Thrush Turbo Muffler, 16x7 TSW TrackStar rims, Toyo Open Country H/T/ tires
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Has anyone thought of putting a wider tire on the back since it doesnt have the turning clearance issue. Im going with the General Grabbers, since they rock ive read, but how would it work for wider rear tires? Would 255/65 16's be wider and still fit? I think it would look sick with wider tires in the back.... help subie gods!!!!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

well besides having to fing the right size tire to go with there shouldn't be a problem

you just need to make the tires the same rolling size.
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Where/how can I find out if its the same rolling size?
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

keep in mind the size side wall is a funtion of the tread width of the dread x the side wall number so you would be having a smaller side wall number with a larger tread width.

so a 215/65/16 = 255/55/16 235/60/16 is close
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

NewToSubies wrote:Has anyone thought of putting a wider tire on the back since it doesnt have the turning clearance issue. Im going with the General Grabbers, since they rock ive read, but how would it work for wider rear tires? Would 255/65 16's be wider and still fit? I think it would look sick with wider tires in the back.... help subie gods!!!!

it might look sick but is it worth the price of your center diff. if the diameters don't match then your putting a lot of pressure on it.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

This is a good calculator to get you close, but you MUST NOT rely on it for an AWD (or 4WD) vehicle. There are rolling radius differences between different brands and even different models of the same brand of the exact same size tire. That's why Subaru tells you not to mix and match in the owners manuals.

The only way to know for sure is to either always use the same brand and size on all 4 corners, or else go to a place like Tirerack.com and look up the revolutions/mile number they have for most of the tires they sell. Only trouble then is if you're buying a tire they don't have data for...
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

after searching for about an hour, Ive realized its alot harder said then done, looking for a wider rear tire, that is. Most brands dont make a wider size that wont affect the speedo too much, or have a size that will fit on the front to have matching models. sooo Im stickking with the General Grabber AT2's. Im trying to find that pic of (i think) mr.holland's truck thats a side shot and it shows both tires.. I cant wait to get some.............. [smilie=666.gif]
astralbear
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by astralbear »

I just bought a 2006 baja sport a week ago and was wanting to put more aggressive offroad tires on it. How big can you really go with the tires before there is a clearance problem? I was thinking about some 215/70R16 BF Goodrich's. What are some of the offroad tires you guys are running?