Who else has been dyno-proven?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Who else has been dyno-proven?

Post by cliffhanger »

For those of us that are interested, I say we should make a proven power thread... anyone game? Last time I dyno'ed, 258HP 279TQ. A new tune and a few diff mods will be coming soon.
Post up what you've got!
This could include a quick summary of what power mods you have as well.

2005 Subaru Baja Turbo 5spd, STi TMIC, VF-39, MBC, Crank Pulley, TBE w/race cats, uppipe, SRI
Next:?
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Well nothing on the dyno yet... as the only good place which was about 2 miles away, is now closed. We will see if I can get a run done this summer.

But so far it feels pretty good at 19 PSI, although the injectors are not too happy with their 98% duty cycle. MAF sensor is flowing 278 g/sec as well.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Whoops

Post by cliffhanger »

New dyno, new power...
'05 baja-t, turboxs fmic, helix rr500 turbo, pe 850 injectors -- 370Whp/405Wtq!!! :shock: I couldn't be more excited. Mike down at AMS tuning did a f*&^$%ng awesome job with the Baja. A true professional.

Next: Clutch! then some TGV deletes and phenolic spacers... then coilovers... then brakes... then ??
370 awhp
The Distance
Scoobytruck Contributer

power up

Post by The Distance »

On this board and other Scooby boards there is a lot of talk about improving power and performance. . .it has got me itching to do the same. Problem is I'm a cheapskate, I don't want to sacrifice fuel economy. So, how can I squeeze out some extra HP without compromising my mpg?

Thanks.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Keep your foot out of it when you want good economy.
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

yes, my mpg has gone down... but i drive like a sane person, i don't hotrod around just because i've got a lot of power. I still get >20mpg. not bad considering i've more than doubled my horsepower and I only started with "19 city, 25 highway".
370 awhp
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I can't wait to get see what I can pull out of non-turbo. Won't be as much as turbo but hey, it's all fun. I was actually thinking about adding a turbo system to it later. I'll have to do some major saving though. I talked to the Subaru place up in my area and they said it would be about $3000. :shock: And that's for the low end turbo. hehe
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

Hawk296 - are you still running the stock turbo? I was curious if the performace capabilities were the same as the WRX

cliffhanger - sooo, what are you doing with the STI TMIC and VF39 you were running???

I am in process of tuning with Enginuity now, but so far have only pushed it up to 14 psi. I am happy with my current map revision, and once the ECU "learns" it better, I am heading to the local dyno. I'll post the numbers when I do.
2005 turbo - WRX intercooler, Samco hoses, GFB bov, 3" Helix catless downpipe, 2.5" SS CatBackEx, front and rear skidplates(for rocks and logs), Westin safari bar, lots of Hella 500's
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

It's great to see someone else using enginuity on a baja! How do you like it?

I am no longer on the stock turbo as I was unable to get anything more than 13 PSI ish no matter how hard i tried. I have been running a VF39 for about 8 months now and it is a great match for the engine and the power levels I am looking for.

I started with a cobb stage 2 93 octane sti map and changed it to make it more baja specific and a bit more aggressive.

So I currently have:
VF-39
USDM STI top mount with the 1 piece Y-pipe
STI/bosal catless uppipe
Oakos 2.5" downpipe
and then a custom 2.5" exhaust (catless) to the stock axleback which has been modified slightly

So not too much but it runs strong.
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

I ran into problems holding boost as well, so I installed a GM BCS. Enginuity came to my rescue in making it work.

I like tuning with it, very flexible. It is interesting to see the differences between the Baja map and everything else. The boost, timing, and wastegate maps are all different compared to 04-05 STI's, Legacy's and Foresters. The factory seems to have severly de-tuned the Baja on purpose.

I guess I'll put a VF39 on my wish list...
2005 turbo - WRX intercooler, Samco hoses, GFB bov, 3" Helix catless downpipe, 2.5" SS CatBackEx, front and rear skidplates(for rocks and logs), Westin safari bar, lots of Hella 500's
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

brujah wrote:I ran into problems holding boost as well, so I installed a GM BCS. Enginuity came to my rescue in making it work.

I like tuning with it, very flexible. It is interesting to see the differences between the Baja map and everything else. The boost, timing, and wastegate maps are all different compared to 04-05 STI's, Legacy's and Foresters. The factory seems to have severly de-tuned the Baja on purpose.

I guess I'll put a VF39 on my wish list...
Good to hear it works well for you. I have had some real good luck with enginuity so far. It was alittle rough early on, luckily merchgod was able to take my baja rom images and help us out making some definitions. It's awesome, every new enginuity revision gives us more and more capability. What ECU revision do you have? AW2C500L, 501L or other? just curious.
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

Mine had the 501L revision already. I found it interesting that when ECU Flash ripped it, it recognized it as a 05 STI base map. I've looked at a lot of maps, and haven't found any other Subaru map that looks quite like ours.
SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

VF39 Upgrade

Post by SPPIII »

With the ECU tuned good, what kinda of gas mileage you looking at with the VF39?

I have been thinking about going down that route to give the Baja alittle more power.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Re: VF39 Upgrade

Post by Hawk296 »

SPPIII wrote:With the ECU tuned good, what kinda of gas mileage you looking at with the VF39?

I have been thinking about going down that route to give the Baja alittle more power.
Now that it's summer time, I am seeing 23-24MPG with a mix of mostly city and some highway. It drops significantly in the winter though.