best oil to use in Baja sport

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

mellowyellow
Scoobytruck Lurker

best oil to use in Baja sport

Post by mellowyellow »

I've had my baja for some time now and want to focus on keeping it in tip top shape... however, I'm rather auto-mechanically ignorant... after a few mishaps with allowing express oil service centers I think it's time to learn to do it myself... So...

What's the best type of oil/oil filter to use in a 2003 Baja Sport?
What do I do with the old oil?
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

A lot here seem to be going with the synthetics- Subaru still recommends the normal schedule even with synthetics. I have always used Kendall (brewed about 2 hrs South of where I live in good ole PA!) and I have 125,000 on my Dakota- and 60,500 on my Rav. I think the important thing is to find 1 oil and stick with it (use a brand name- not some Wally World No name bottle of crap) maitain a regular schedule and ALWAYS change the filter with every change (BTW stick with a brand name filter also)
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

I'm using Quaker State 5w30, the standard recommended oil, and it is done by the dealer. Having heard the horor stories of the express-lube places, I'm sticking to my dealer! They know what is what on the Subarus.
-EB
usmc13

Post by usmc13 »

I just did my first oil change on my baja o3 and it was real easy. You do have to remove the panel that protects the under part of the eng. but it is very easy (4 plastic screws) and then it slides off. Like Stefan said you should definetly stick with one product and syn's are great but expensive, if you don't mind changing your own oil the regular stuffs just fine.
usmc13

Post by usmc13 »

As for the old oil most dumps will take the oil but you may have to keep the jug it came in or alot of auto stores are starting to take your old oil just ask when you pick up your oil and filter.
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

I save my own oil- Use it as chain oil in my 1976 Homelite chainsaw- Been using old motor oil in it since I got it 10 years ago!!!!