New wheels

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

TonyTyler
Scoobytruck Lurker

New wheels

Post by TonyTyler »

Anyone replaced the stock wheels on their baja? Just curious if anyone's gone up to an 18" or something like that. I've been considering it, but wanted to see if anyone has done it and if there are any complications,

Cheers!
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

I went to a 17" rim for my summer tires and kept the stock set for winters. I was thinking about 18" but the rims and tires more expensive and I wanted a little more sidewall on the tires to deal with the bad roads around here. Have a look through the baja pics thread at the top of the page to see who has what.

Bob
Eric
Scoobytruck Lurker

And don't forget the spare

Post by Eric »

I was hoping to replace the donut with a real wheel, but I got this from Subaru of America:

As you know, the spare tire is smaller and lighter than a conventional tire. Subaru has only tested the use of this size tire with this model vehicle. Therefore, Subaru would not recommend that you replace this area of the vehicle with a conventional size tire.
Eric
Sunny West Seattle, the land that time forgot.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I think that I read something somewhere about this, the winch isn't made to hold up the extra weight of a full size spare, only the donut. Also, full size might not fit right in the donut space, lots of crap that sits tight to the donut right now. Mike
bajabeauty

Post by bajabeauty »

I'm thinking about just putting a full spare on an overhead luggage rack that locks......take out the whole underneath donut section to add room for better exhaust....
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

bajabeauty wrote:I'm thinking about just putting a full spare on an overhead luggage rack that locks......take out the whole underneath donut section to add room for better exhaust....
Thats a good idea. I remember lookin at something like that when I had my ole Cherokee. There was a company that made a roof mount. Was very expensive though. Would be a great project, as long as the roof can handle the weight load. Mike
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Do you mean something like this:

-EB
bajabeauty

Post by bajabeauty »

Hey thats is nice....I was looking at Yakima roof racks but this is cool....but w/ a cover on top too that locks....so thieves won't just be able to have a free tire.......also thinking about getting a hard spare tire cover for the tire from another car....mount it to the roof rack....painted to match my car....hmmmm. Maybe put a Baja logo on it....

Edit...oh and add lights to the rack...front portion....
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Nice job, EB. A bit bigger than I would like. How does that thing sound goin down the freeway?? Since it sits up high on top of the rack, looks like it would be a noisemaker. Mike
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

bajabeauty wrote:Hey thats is nice....I was looking at Yakima roof racks but this is cool....but w/ a cover on top too that locks....so thieves won't just be able to have a free tire.......also thinking about getting a hard spare tire cover for the tire from another car....mount it to the roof rack....painted to match my car....hmmmm. Maybe put a Baja logo on it....

Edit...oh and add lights to the rack...front portion....

I have one and it's not too bad..
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Nice job, EB. A bit bigger than I would like. How does that thing sound goin down the freeway?? Since it sits up high on top of the rack, looks like it would be a noisemaker. Mike
Mike,
Unfortunately, that is not my Baja. It's a picture I found on http://www.challengedriving.com and it is for sale. If I had enough spare change floating around, I would probably buy it!
-EB