Locking Gas Cap

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Locking Gas Cap

Post by Fuzzy »

Hello,
I was wondering if any of yous have ended up getting a locking gas cap, because of the rising gas prices. I have a 2005 Baja and the only one was for a 2003 Baja. I am going to give it a try to see if it works ok. The Subaru dude says that I might get a check engine light, but not to worry.

Fuzzy
elfranco
Scoobytruck Lurker

Locking gas cap

Post by elfranco »

My Subaru dealer told me a locking gas cap was not neccesary. He said there is something at the bottom of the gas tank that prevents siphoning of gasoline. You might want to look into this, since I have been given misinformation in the past.
Good luck,

Franco

2005 Baja T auto
white/silver
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Locking gas cap

Post by cliffhanger »

elfranco wrote: 2005 Baja T auto
white/silver
nice color!
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
chicken n waffles
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Locking gas cap

Post by chicken n waffles »

elfranco wrote:My Subaru dealer told me a locking gas cap was not neccesary. He said there is something at the bottom of the gas tank that prevents siphoning of gasoline. You might want to look into this, since I have been given misinformation in the past.
Good luck,

Franco

2005 Baja T auto
white/silver
what about if some dingus decided that sand + your gastank = happy fun? :(
-Ben
'05 Baja Turbo M/T
Atlantic Blue
Highlander
Scoobytruck Contributer

bought one and it fit my 05

Post by Highlander »

no problem - gas is too high to risk here in Calif.
autumnmist83
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by autumnmist83 »

i got my locking gas cap for my 2005 at wal-mart
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

I forgot that I posted this.....But, I did get a gas cap for myBaja. It took some time of getting use to having to unlock it, but I am happy I got it. I have had no problems with it.

Fuzzy
Spacinjasman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Locking Gas Cap

Post by Spacinjasman »

Fuzzy wrote:Hello,
I was wondering if any of yous have ended up getting a locking gas cap, because of the rising gas prices. I have a 2005 Baja and the only one was for a 2003 Baja. I am going to give it a try to see if it works ok. The Subaru dude says that I might get a check engine light, but not to worry.

Fuzzy
:lol: I just bought a locking gas cap for my '06 Baja Turbo yesterday at Schucks. They only had one in stock and it was $14.99 I guess the Turbos take a different gas cap?. I don't want anyone stealing my gas with the price of it right now (not to mention you need to run premiem in the Turbos). My only complaint is that when the cap is locked into position, you can still get it off if you push really hard and twist counter clockwise on it. :cry: My feeling is that most people that would steal gas would probably flip open the filler lid, see the locking gas cap and move on. I showed the problem to the salesman at Schucks, and he offerd my money back, but it was the only one he had in stock, so I kept it.
I haven't had any check engine lights since installing it, so that's good!
I though I saw some locking gas caps for Subies on E Bay for around $24.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Also......gas thiefs beware, if any of us catch you will probably be in for a hurtin for certain as we will 'educate' as to your errors. I hate thiefs! Then we might call the police! LOL!
Spacinjason
'06 Baja Turbo MT
'06 Silver Baja Turbo MT
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

Well, I had my boyfriend go out and try to remove it without the key...

By pushing really hard and turning he couldn't remove it.

...BUT...

If he lifted up and turned (counter clockwise) REALLY hard he could remove it. He said it was a hit and miss thing, couldn't do it each time.

Fuzzy
Eric
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Locking Gas Cap

Post by Eric »

:lol: I just bought a locking gas cap for my '06 Baja Turbo yesterday at Schucks. They only had one in stock and it was $14.99 I guess the Turbos take a different gas cap?

FWIW: I just bought an '06 Sport a few months ago - with no locking gas cap. I transferred the locking gas cap (bought from Schucks) that I had on my last vehicle - a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L fourbanger - and haven't had any problems yet. I can't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't anything near 15 bucks.

Well scratch that! I just came back from a 600 mile trip and the check engine light came on twice - it wasn't difficult to deduce that the cheap gas cap was at fault.
Eric
Sunny West Seattle, the land that time forgot.