Couple of Questions (new baja)

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Popereel
Scoobytruck Lurker

Couple of Questions (new baja)

Post by Popereel »

My '06 has a couple of odd sounds right now. The first is a constant crackling (I can't tell if it's the dashboard or windshield) while I'm driving or when it's warming up. I'm assuming it is the warm heater air on either the cold dash or windshield...anyone else have this?
Also I get a whistling noise (not all the time) from around the moonroof. I can't tell if it is the roof bars or the moonroof itself. When I slightly open the moonroof, I can hear it better than when it is closed...if I open it half way or fully I can't hear it at all. It seems to start at around 80 klm per hour...reclosing the moonroof doesn't affect it...any ideas?
Dan :idea:
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Dan, take the roof rack crossbows off, they are just a damn windnoise maker in my opinion. Then take it for a drive. It really made a HUGE improvement on my 03 Baja. The cracking noise prolly is just the plastic in the ductwork heatin up. I have weird noises like this in mine in the cold, and all of my other cars have had weird noises like this too. Once it gets really warm, the noises should go away. Hope this helps you out. Mike
stu's subie
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by stu's subie »

yes mine makes wind noise and yes mine makes a slight creaking sound in the am on a very cold day only on the first drive out of my drive way it is expand and contracting of plastic
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I have an 05 sport and I get the crackling too. USually works with the front defroster on. I assume the front vents are expanding or the windshield is.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

I am also having the crackling sound in my Baja. One thing that worries me it that it happened in another vechicle of mine, then in so much time the dash cracked. That was the only thing that I could think caused it to crack. I am one of those people who does not let ANYTHING sit on the dash, not even a piece of paper.

Fuzzy
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

The wife asked me about this tonight. Any updates on what it might be?

It was cold out and the defroster was on and it was doing it alot. I turned the heater on instead and the cracking decreased significantly after the warm air wasnt being blown up on the dash/window anymore.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Prolly just all that nice plastic expanding. I have noticed that on a hot day, you get some noise too as everythin cools off. I have had this creak in the cold while warming up, I just ignore it, it seems to go away after it warms up a bit. Mike
chicken n waffles
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by chicken n waffles »

yep, i have it as well. it's the only creaking noise my baja makes, and considering that's about 14,999 less creaks/rattles than my mazda6 used to make, i'll take it :lol: . folks are right.. it'll go away when the plastic heats/expands.
-Ben
'05 Baja Turbo M/T
Atlantic Blue