back head rests

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

rfugitt
Scoobytruck Contributer

back head rests

Post by rfugitt »

are the back headrests removable ? i tried pulling up on them, but they didnt move much...I would like to give myself more visability out the back window.

ray
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

I always wonder the same thing. Especially when I am wanting to change lanes. But I am always wondering what it would look like with them off if I can get them off. And if there is nobody in passenger seat I even push it down all the way, then if anyone gets in the seat they have to adjust it. I always tell them it blocks my blind spot too much.

Fuzzy
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I believe that the owners manual says that they are non-adjustable / non-removable.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
daloon53
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by daloon53 »

I removed mine easily. Pry out the small plastic cover plate below them. Inside you will find 2 self tapping bolts that mount them to the wall. Just unscrew and pop the cover plate back on. Easy....
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

Daloon,
How does it look without the back headrest? When you say pry does it damage anything in the process?

Fuzzy
Kaeliomu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Kaeliomu »

I removed mine and like having more rear window vision...nothing to pry just pop off the plastic covers.
daloon53
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by daloon53 »

looks much better, and you can actually see out the rear window much better without them in the way. No damage and they are easily replaced if needed, take you 5 mins. max.
X20
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by X20 »

daloon,
thank you for the wisdom on the rear head rest, for some reason i was under the impression that it was a difficult task. Took me less than 5 mins easy.

everyone else:
you will need a small screw driver (flat head)
1/2" size socket for bolts

lower seat and remove plastic cover under head rest using the small flat head, this part easily comes off. you will then see 2 - 1/2" bolts. get em out of there and thats about it. the bolts are not hard to loosen at all.

you must do this to realize how awesome the rear visibility is, screw the whip lash, its worth it
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

X20 wrote:everyone else:
you will need a small screw driver (flat head)
1/2" size socket for bolts
FYI it is NOT 1/2"
Every fastener on this car is metric
X20
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by X20 »

hawk has a point,
however a 1/2" is what most people have (my experience) and it will work fine. The bolts are soo easy that it will not strip at all. The 1/2 has minor play and will do just fine, i do not know the equivilant for metric, but im sure is some where up hawks ass
X20
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by X20 »

forgive me, i meant to write: but im sure its somewhere up hawk's ass. not is.
forgive me hawk, you dork[/u]
hookupny
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by hookupny »

I have worked on a few hundred Jap bikes to know that 13mm is equal to 1/2 inch... they are both the same..do the math.

Soooo....a 1/2 inch wrench will work just fine on all those 13mm nuts and bolts...thank you very much.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Woah guys, it wasn't meant to be a personal attack on any of you. I was simply trying to get the correct info out there. Lighten up a little.

If you do the math, 1/2inch equals 12.7mm which is more than 12mm and less than 13mm and therefor, although close, not the same.

The two bolts that secure each rear headrest are 12mm. (at least they are on a 2005 turbo)

There is an excessive amount of slop if you use a 1/2inch wrench on a 12mm bolt (it will fit pretty snugly on a 13mm though)

Sorry if my earlier quick response offended any of you, Just trying to get the correct info out there.
Fuzzy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Fuzzy »

Thanks for the instructions of taking off the back head rests. I can notice a difference in feeling comfortable when switching lanes. I was getting sick of hearing people beeping their horn at me while I was changing lanes (not that I didn't deserve it).

Fuzzy