Help--New Baja Break-in period, road trip

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Help--New Baja Break-in period, road trip

Post by Caaron »

I have an opportunity to pick up a new Subaru Baja turbo at a dealership in New Hampshire. The deal is that I live in Maryland, and would have to fly up to get it and then drive it back. I was wondering about the break-in period for a new Baja, and whether driving for 7 hours on the highway would be a problem with a brand new car or not. I also was curious as to how fast I could drive it without doing it any harm.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Chuck
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

I would say you'd be fine. Keep the RPMs down and keep her under 65.
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Help--New Baja Break-in period, road trip

Post by cyphergirl »

Caaron wrote:I have an opportunity to pick up a new Subaru Baja turbo at a dealership in New Hampshire. The deal is that I live in Maryland, and would have to fly up to get it and then drive it back. I was wondering about the break-in period for a new Baja, and whether driving for 7 hours on the highway would be a problem with a brand new car or not. I also was curious as to how fast I could drive it without doing it any harm.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Chuck
Where are you in Maryland? I just moved from Woodlawn to Mount Airy (in August).
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

I'm in Columbia Maryland. I decided not to go to New Hampshire for the car and bought a new one locally today. I pick the Baja up tomorrow...

Chuck
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

I'm glad you could find one locally. Welcome to the club.
-EB
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm excited about picking up the Baja tomorrow (although a little disappointed that the CD player won't play MP3's). Still, it is a great vehicle and I got a good deal on it. The posts and members of this forum have been very helpful.

Chuck
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

Caaron wrote:I'm in Columbia Maryland. I decided not to go to New Hampshire for the car and bought a new one locally today. I pick the Baja up tomorrow...

Chuck
Did you get it from Russel?
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

No, Mile One Heritage in Owings Mills. They gave me a good deal and the sales guy was helpful and not too pushy. The one in New Hampshire was a great deal--$23,500 for a 2006 Black Baja with leather option, but the hassle of flying up there, driving it back, getting it inspected & registered here put me off a bit. It was a new car that had been on a lot that was 'wind damaged' and all of the cars were purchased by the insurance company and then auctioned off. It had two very minor scratches but otherwise was brand new (only 14 miles on it). Subaru won't warrant the paint but otherwise all the warranties are intact, so it was being sold as a used car... The one I bought today is a silver Baja with leather package and a couple of other goodies. I heard that Russell isn't the best dealer around and that their service department may leave a little to be desired. I hope that's not the case since they are the closest to where I live. Where did you buy yours?

Chuck
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

Caaron wrote:I heard that Russell isn't the best dealer around and that their service department may leave a little to be desired. I hope that's not the case since they are the closest to where I live. Where did you buy yours?

Chuck
I actually bought mine as Russell because Mile One (the dealership you got yours from) kept jacking around with the price and wouldn't give me a straight answer. I spent two hours trying to get the price down then went to Russell. They gave me a price that beat Mile One's price the first time -- no BS. I'm in Mount Airy now, but for the nearly two years they serviced it I never had a problem. They always did everything right and got it done quickly. When I bought mine, they had a lifetime oil change thing going for $179. I never paid for an oil change; in fact, I still take it out there for oil changes (since they are on my way to work and I can wait while they get it done). I think I had mine out the door for $19,000 -- but that was back in 2003 when they were a bit cheaper. Mile One wanted $23,000. At the time, Russell sold more Bajas than any other local dealer. Not sure about now.
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

Thanks for that info about Russell. I did get a quote from them but they wanted almost $1000 more for the truck and didn't have one in stock. I'm glad to hear you've had a good service experience with them, so I'll probably take my Baja there after it is broken in for oil changes, etc.

Chuck
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

Caaron wrote:Thanks for that info about Russell. I did get a quote from them but they wanted almost $1000 more for the truck and didn't have one in stock. I'm glad to hear you've had a good service experience with them, so I'll probably take my Baja there after it is broken in for oil changes, etc.

Chuck
A friend of mine has a silver/silver '03. I think he got his at Fitzgerald. Definately seeing more and more of them around here.