Baja for Extra Vehicle

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

frontporch
Scoobytruck Lurker

Baja for Extra Vehicle

Post by frontporch »

Hello Baja owners.

I have been considering picking up an older Subaru with a sunroof and a manual transmission. I wasn't familiar with the 2003 -2006 Baja, but looking at it, I think its kind of quirky and cool. It also might be worth the $$ and time I put into it as it seems like they do better than hold their value. Looking for suggestions from drivers as to their take on what it is like to own and drive a Baja.

What I don't like is a really noisy vehicle or something that rides like a truck. I also have been spoiled by Toyotas and Hondas that don't require a lot of expensive repairs outside of axles, timing belts and some exhaust work.

I would love to find a fun to drive manual trans with a sunroof. I am not too particular about performance and cornering. I live on economy cars so I am guessing I could get by with a non-turbo model.

Any thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Baja for Extra Vehicle

Post by Guacamole »

If you've ever driven a Legacy or a pre-2013 Outback, or a late-90s Toyota corolla, a Baja feels identical to that with a lift. They don't drive like trucks, and are stupidly agile for their weight. Assuming the car isn't falling apart, they're as quiet as your typical urban sedan. They're a little blind-spotty in the rear, however, especially backing up and parallel parking.

Bear in mind, the last Baja that rolled off the assembly line before production ceased is now 16 years old. You WILL likely have to put money into one if you purchase, and because the NAs are powered by EJ253 they suffer from headgasket failures due to gasket design being made out of graphite (the turbo models generally do not suffer headgasket failure, BUT DO suffer turbo failure/grenading if proper maintenance is/was not taken.

All Baja models came standard with a sunroof, manuals not so much. Turbo manual? Good luck, less than 7,000 of those were made over the total ~40,000 production run.

My 06 sport is now retired as a weekend/dirty hauling car, with the new daily being a 2018 Legacy. Aside from the height and interior space, driving either feels almost identical.
frontporch
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by frontporch »

Thanks. Great information
Anything come to mind besides head gaskets as potential problem issues or things to look out for in a used car?
I have seen a video about rust/rot around the rocker areas and subframes
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Rust, bad axles, starved turbo if you go that route, pretty much the usual on a used car.
Alf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Alf »

I recently picked up an all electric vehicle, SUV style. I was planning to sell my Baja as I wasn't planning on running 2 vehicles. But after a few weeks I decided to keep the BAJA as a utility vehicle. It can handle my kayak, forestry roads, hauling pretty much anything so my new EV cannot replace it :) And when winter hits (I live in Canada), I will have an amazing vehicle to play in while the EV rests in the garage.

It really is a great second car.
frontporch
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by frontporch »

I am going to consider a car that has some tailgate damage and rust. Will post pictures here when I get them. Tailgate is functional but looks like it was down and backed into a pole or something

I know these cars will rust by the doors and wheel wells. Assuming most work is hidden below cladding and might be ok with a home welder quality job are there panels available? Are there parts that are not replaceable?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

It's uni-body construction- so if the frame is rusted out, you can't exactly replace it. Nearly all parts from the rear axle forward can be pulled from a 2000-2004 Legacy or Outback and are directly interchangeable with the Baja, with the exception of the rear doors, windows, and struts.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Common problem with wind noise from rubber triangles where mirrors mount. Sunroof problems (some) from failure of motor or safety control module. Rear body parts are Baja specific. Often Baja parts available on ebay from boneyards (tailgate). Rust around rear doors, behind cladding, and sometimes under top roof rails. Dennis