2006 Baja Turbo Questions.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

2006 Baja Turbo Questions.

Post by harleyjohn45 »

I'm in the market for a 2006 Baja Turbo. Looking for one with about 100k miles. Reading the specs on this car I see different HP ratings in different publications. Is the 2006 model 230 HP or is it 210 HP like the 2005 model? Also is the 2006 model 1 inch taller than the 2005 model. If the 2005 and 2006 are exactly the same, then it would make no difference to me.
I understand Subaru is making a new truck, but it will be bigger and longer. The good thing would be the promised 300 hp and I'm sure reliability would be better. I think I just like the older ones.
Last edited by harleyjohn45 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: 2006 Baja Turbo Questions.

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there,
I would assume the HP between the 05 and 06 stock turbos are the same, as they share the exact same engine. A few horses have likely escaped the stable anyway since these are all over a decade old.
The stock ride height for all the 04-06 models are the same at around 8", despite what some publications may say. The 03s use different springs and struts (but are compatible with all Bajas) and the 04-06 all use the same suspension parts between the years.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

Thank you Mr. Guacamole, I have read many conflicting reports. I am looking at a 2006 turbo in Michigan, it seems to have had all the maintenance done, but it has a new turbo at 108 k miles. The car has 108 K actual miles. The dealer that has the car didn't seem to know what a banjo bolt screen is, so you can pretty much know that is the reason for the new turbo. I'm in New Mexico, so I am planning to send an inspector to look at the car for me. Shipping adds about 1500.00 to the cost of the car, but everything seen within driving distance is totally worn out. I may pull the trigger.
John
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

That's not surprising. Most dealers and bloggers/auto help sites don't know a thing about Bajas, and some don't even know they even exist. It doesn't help that Subaru's marketing campaign for these wasn't stellar either. Heck, my local Subie dealer and their techs didn't know it was Legacy-based until the 3rd time I had it in their shop, despite them having others 5 in previously to be worked on (all for head gaskets). When I bought mine up in Philly, the sleazy salesman didn't even know how to properly fold the rear seats to use the switchback. :roll:
Good luck on the hunt and possible purchase!
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

I'm in Albuquerque, but found my '05 in Denver after searching everywhere. It was in close to new-but-slightly used condition; low mileage, no accidents, no rust, little upholstery wear, paint protectant apparently worked. My early years through college were in the Detroit area, so I've known quite a few rust buckets. Salt is used freely in winter, and at least in the '50s and '60s cars were traded regularly about every two years as soon as rust appeared. Michigan used to have excellently-maintained roads (again in the '50s and '60s), but maintenance has suffered since then. Potholes of epic proportions could appear overnight with disastrous effect on automotive suspensions. You might be spared expensive headaches by having your inspector pay close attention to rusted panels and deteriorated suspension parts. I hope the inspection rewards you with a well-found vehicle at a fair price. I'm sure you will enjoy the experience once it becomes yours!
TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TrentRoogna »

Where in Michigan is it from? I'm a SE Michigan native and we've had some severe flooding problems in last couple years. So have your inspector look for signs of flood damage if it's in Detroit/Ann Arbor/Warren region.

Not all our roads are bad. Just the ones within the cities/suburban. There's a wonky law in Michigan that unevenly distributes road improvement money to Urban/rural areas so the roads are great once to get North of Flint.

Edit: what about a new Subaru truck? I'd heard rumors but couldn't find a primary source so assumed it was just wishful thinking.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

TrentRoogna wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:45 am Edit: what about a new Subaru truck? I'd heard rumors but couldn't find a primary source so assumed it was just wishful thinking.
It's all just rumors and speculation. My 2-cents: considering the sheer amount of recalls in the short time the Ascent has been out I don't see it being a thing, IF it's even in development, until it's certain all the problems are sorted out. IF it does ever come out, it will likely be something akin to the new-generation Ridgeline.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

TrentRoogna wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:45 am Where in Michigan is it from? I'm a SE Michigan native and we've had some severe flooding problems in last couple years. So have your inspector look for signs of flood damage if it's in Detroit/Ann Arbor/Warren region.

Not all our roads are bad. Just the ones within the cities/suburban. There's a wonky law in Michigan that unevenly distributes road improvement money to Urban/rural areas so the roads are great once to get North of Flint.

Edit: what about a new Subaru truck? I'd heard rumors but couldn't find a primary source so assumed it was just wishful thinking.
I backed away from the one in Michigan and bought one in Long view Texas. It is very nice one owner, never wrecked 110K miles, very clean. I pick it up on the 25th Oct.
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

I think you were wise to back away from the Michigan Baja; sounds like the one in Texas is a keeper. Let's see some photos once it's yours! :D
Aetrox
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Aetrox »

Ok a question for the guys who know more than I do. I had noticed the difference in specs for the 2006 model as well. I found this confusing as well. So here is what I have read at different points, no idea if it fits together at all.

1) That for the Baja turbos, Subaru used detuned wrx engines. ( with the ‘half supported deck, whatever that is supposed to be )

2) That actual production stopped with the 2005 year and the 2006’s were not actually ‘produced during the calendar year, but rather ‘production completed’

3) That in 2006 Subaru introduced a ‘new and improved’ engine for the wrx.

So looking at all this fragmented data, I always just assumed that the 2006 model just had the updated wrx engine and the hp bump was just as a result of where the detuning happened to fall.

Is any of this true?
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Aetrox wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:09 am Ok a question for the guys who know more than I do. I had noticed the difference in specs for the 2006 model as well. I found this confusing as well. So here is what I have read at different points, no idea if it fits together at all.

1) That for the Baja turbos, Subaru used detuned wrx engines. ( with the ‘half supported deck, whatever that is supposed to be )

2) That actual production stopped with the 2005 year and the 2006’s were not actually ‘produced during the calendar year, but rather ‘production completed’

3) That in 2006 Subaru introduced a ‘new and improved’ engine for the wrx.

So looking at all this fragmented data, I always just assumed that the 2006 model just had the updated wrx engine and the hp bump was just as a result of where the detuning happened to fall.

Is any of this true?
The EJ255 used in the Baja Turbos is a semi-open deck for all years. The EJ251 used in 03 NAs is open deck. Not sure about the 253 in 04-06 NAs but probably also open. Pics and explanation at https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/thread ... ine-Blocks (I didn't write it, I didn't vet it, but they do have pics of all 3)

What year the car was actually made in is purely academic. Many vehicles are actually built before their official model year. From what I've read, this is largely an American thing... marketing to have next years stuff before the other guy escalating. Model year they are officially registered as is all that matters unless someone needs to know date of production for a recall only affecting a specific window of production.

I could see them going either way with revising the engine for only the last year of production but I lean on the side of thinking they didn't. The Baja was retiring, why update it for the last year? Japanese automakers don't celebrate last year production like US does because they don't overproduce and need the hype to sell the last few units. The Imprezza was already a generation newer with no end of production in sight.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Aetrox
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Aetrox »

Fantastic, thanks. I am having difficulty sorting through all the data. The cult of Subaru is very broad, probably a good thing, keeps the company in business. Thanks again, I’ll figure it out eventually.