Passenger side rear brakeline hole/leak: repair or replace complete lines?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Passenger side rear brakeline hole/leak: repair or replace complete lines?

Post by BajaTim »

Slow leak in rear, right brake line. Mech saw “rusted, leaking hole from below car - through little built-in access. I’ve moved rear seats to expose floor from above - mech says he will repair the damaged section. Stick with that or replace entire right side brake line?

Second Q: with rear floor exposed (I know it’s not time consuming) I thought it would be a good time to change gas filters (2 correct?) - or just leave well enough alone?

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Passenger side rear brakeline hole/leak: repair or replace complete lines?

Post by Guacamole »

BajaTim wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:44 am Slow leak in rear, right brake line. Mech saw “rusted, leaking hole from below car - through little built-in access. I’ve moved rear seats to expose floor from above - mech says he will repair the damaged section. Stick with that or replace entire right side brake line?
What's the price difference between installing whole new line vs repairing the existing line? If it's not that much I'd go with a whole new one.
BajaTim wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:44 am Second Q: with rear floor exposed (I know it’s not time consuming) I thought it would be a good time to change gas filters (2 correct?) - or just leave well enough alone?
Might as well since you're already there, and if money isn't an issue.
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Guacamole wrote:
BajaTim wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:44 am Slow leak in rear, right brake line. Mech saw “rusted, leaking hole from below car - through little built-in access. I’ve moved rear seats to expose floor from above - mech says he will repair the damaged section. Stick with that or replace entire right side brake line?
What's the price difference between installing whole new line vs repairing the existing line? If it's not that much I'd go with a whole new one.
BajaTim wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:44 am Second Q: with rear floor exposed (I know it’s not time consuming) I thought it would be a good time to change gas filters (2 correct?) - or just leave well enough alone?
Might as well since you're already there, and if money isn't an issue.
Money is a HUGE issue:) My mech will make a repair - splice in a short section of replacement line in about an hour and charge me $60. Local SUBARU non-dealer shop charges $80/hour, I think parts are $175?? and I heard it’s tough to “fish” in new line through firewall - so I’m gonna say that sounds like 3 hours to me (so $400-500).

I’m asking since if repairing a short piece of line is “useless” (only lasts 2 mos. and/or surrounding line habitually gets holy as well - so operation needs repeating, then 3-4 x $60 isn’t that far from $400.

I’m assuming dealer would charge close to $1k to replace one side of brake lines - but am not even going to ask. :)

Any thoughts on replacing fuel filters? I have 190,000 on car, but engine has been replaced twice (50k on latest one) - but I’m betting dealer did not replace filters at thst time, so I’m estimating “never replaced”). Engine runs smooth with occasional “murmer” every 4-5 sec. - performs great!

BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Sorry Guacamole! Missed the fuel filters part - have you ever done that yourself?

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

If the mechanic doing the brake line repair has skill enough to cut the tube, make a flare and splice the section, I'd figure he is able to determine if the rest of the line(s) are good enough to hold up. I wasn't aware of any brake lines going through the firewall. Yes, bending and routing brake (and fuel) lines can be a bear. Seen a few rusted out lines in my time. I'll probably see more as the fleet I maintain is on an island. Dennis
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

ZUBAJA wrote:If the mechanic doing the brake line repair has skill enough to cut the tube, make a flare and splice the section, I'd figure he is able to determine if the rest of the line(s) are good enough to hold up. I wasn't aware of any brake lines going through the firewall. Yes, bending and routing brake (and fuel) lines can be a bear. Seen a few rusted out lines in my time. I'll probably see more as the fleet I maintain is on an island. Dennis
Solid advice - I’ll
ask him to check. Thanks!

Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

BajaTim wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am Sorry Guacamole! Missed the fuel filters part - have you ever done that yourself?
I haven't done then nor had them done on mine... yet. Until something major goes wrong and I have a need to take out the rear seats to change them I'm just going to leave them as is.
That said, if I were in your shoes, since you've already got the seats out you might as well change them considering the age and mileage (if it's still within your budget, of course).
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Guacamole wrote:
BajaTim wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am Sorry Guacamole! Missed the fuel filters part - have you ever done that yourself?
I haven't done then nor had them done on mine... yet. Until something major goes wrong and I have a need to take out the rear seats to change them I'm just going to leave them as is.
That said, if I were in your shoes, since you've already got the seats out you might as well change them considering the age and mileage (if it's still within your budget, of course).
Thanks - I’ll price it out!

BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

BajaTim wrote:
Guacamole wrote:
Thanks - I’ll price it out!

Outcome: I just went with my new buddy mechanic (and his boss who did pipe flares/connect) - so just repaired the rusted section at rear.

In retrospect, I called my usual local Suby guy on Friday - he quoted $250 to replace BOTH sides, entire line - that would have been “better”...

But my new bud also rebuilt my MINI right rear caliper piston - parts $5.95 - BUT again, Centric rebuilt caliper $65 and install 30 min. instead of rebuild 60 min.

I paid them each $60/hour - Monro shop rate is $120/hour - so 6 x $60 = $360...so about the same $...

But, I got to see whole process - so a bit like going to school.

So at least I did change my MINI rotors & pads, brake wear sensor...& feel I could do it on my Baja next time...

And I’ve found two guys I can trust to do a solid job - hopefully some savings in the future.

#liveandlearn

tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

I had my first (2003) Baja over 200k miles and never changed the tank filter. I did change the filter in the engine compartment. It was cheap and easy to replace. Maybe 10-15 min.
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Thanks. I talked to my “other” regular Suby mechanic & he said, like you, leave it alone:)