2006 Baja Turbo Engine Removal

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Steve.G.Sanders
Scoobytruck Lurker

2006 Baja Turbo Engine Removal

Post by Steve.G.Sanders »

I've been researching while slowly working to remove the engine from my 06 Baja Turbo. I've got two things left that I know of that are holding me up.

The first is lifting points. I've seen recommendations to use the A/C compressor bracket (which looks reasonable) and a lifting bracket on the left rear corner of the block (that appears to be a Turbo delete item). What do you use for lifting points on the Turbo EJ255?

The next is the A/C compressor itself. I would prefer to avoid disconnecting the freon lines. I saw a video that suggested tying it onto the left inner fender, but this can't be done without fairly heavy strain on the tubing and twisting of the hoses to the point of kinking.

Looking for advice from someone that has done it.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Steve.G.Sanders
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: 2006 Baja Turbo Engine Removal

I found the rear lift point on the intercooler bracket that I had already removed.

mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Once you unbolt the rear ac line from where it is secured on the firewall, you'll have a lot more "wiggle" room with it. I don't think it's possible to pull the engine and not have the lines kink a little bit.

Also, make sure you unbolt the torque converter before you pull the engine. While it's possible to pull the motor with the torque converter attached, the risk of damaging the oil seal in the transmission is extremely high, and you won't know until you put the engine back in.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
Steve.G.Sanders
Scoobytruck Lurker

I've already removed the torque converter bolts, but thanks for the warning!

I haven't released that freon line mount because I didn't want to strain the aluminum tube, but I'll try it.

Thanks for the tips!

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I have pulled engines on 2 Foresters while leaving the A/C system intact and on the vehicles, and the Foresters are supposed to ba a bit smaller vehicles. Dennis
Steve.G.Sanders
Scoobytruck Lurker

Engine removal was successfully completed last night.

Thanks for the tips. Image

mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Nice! You managed to pull it with a minimal of mess too! Are you pulling the motor to solve the rough running issue?
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
Steve.G.Sanders
Scoobytruck Lurker

Yes. I'm expecting to find the valve guide issue, but I haven't done the leak down test yet.

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

So I am looking at your engine picture and notice that it is the DOHC engine (similar to the EJ25 in my '98 Forester). Is this still a 2.5, or is it the 2.0 turbo I have heard about (JDM engine?). Never worried much about turbos as I feel like my NA Baja has plenty of pep. Dennis
Steve.G.Sanders
Scoobytruck Lurker

It's an EJ255, 2.5 liter.

kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

ZUBAJA wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:43 pm So I am looking at your engine picture and notice that it is the DOHC engine (similar to the EJ25 in my '98 Forester). Is this still a 2.5, or is it the 2.0 turbo I have heard about (JDM engine?). Never worried much about turbos as I feel like my NA Baja has plenty of pep. Dennis
The turbos also got DOHC.

The Baja has short gears and fairly tight suspension so you don't notice the 3700lbs except trying to accelerate in a straight line where you're about on par with a prius or most 4-cyl medium duty trucks (ie colorado, frontier, tacoma). Drive something not comically slow and you'll notice the difference. I mean that literally, not insultingly. I have a history of having comically slow vehicles and only lately some very much not so.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Steve.G.Sanders
Scoobytruck Lurker

mike-tracy wrote:Nice! You managed to pull it with a minimal of mess too! Are you pulling the motor to solve the rough running issue?
FYI...

I performed the leak-down test last week and found no problems. Leakage was consistent in all cylinders and read around 20%. I couldn't hear any leakage in either manifold or dipstick tube. I even rotated the crankshaft to start opening a valve so I could hear what it would sound like. I'm confident that the valves, rings and head gaskets are fine.

What I did find was that both cams in the right head had jumped timing. I replaced the timing belt about 2 years ago and have pictures that verify that all was properly timed when I was done. My best guess is that the new tensioner that I installed with the new belt has failed and allowed them to jump a tooth. Any available experience for this??

BTW, the tensioner looks fine and is providing some tension.

Steve.G.Sanders
Scoobytruck Lurker

I mentioned earlier that I was doing this project at a slow pace...

I finished up tonight and took it for a test drive. Runs great! So glad to have it done.

Right head cams jumped timing was the problem. Replaced lots of perished rubber products in the process.