Auto trans gear shift knob removal?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Auto trans gear shift knob removal?

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Does anyone out there know how to remove the gear shift knob from a Baja Sport with an auto transmission. I don't like the gray molded plastic look. I got a knob from a Legacy wagon in a junkyard that has a "sewed on" black leather cover which looks much nicer and I want to use that one. The one from the junk yard just easily screwed off but when I tried to unscrew the one in my Baja it wouldn't budge.
DocSemtex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Auto trans gear shift knob removal?

Post by DocSemtex »

The AT shift selector rod is threaded at M10x1.25. (M12 for MT, if I recall correctly.) If the knob hasn’t been touched since it left the factory, it will take a bit of brute force. Since you are likely not going to save it as a trophy for display, I’d recommend grabbing a large pair of channel locks.
After the first quarter turn it will come off after an insane amount of thread.

...unless a previous owner JB welded / epoxied the knob on because it kept spinning loose.
05BT5MT 128k sorta stock. Kinda.
06BT5MT “212k”; 8.5:1/E85/28psi; AWIC; RA1-4/LGT 5th; SureTrack LSDs; Haltech
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

DocSemtex wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:01 am The AT shift selector rod is threaded at M10x1.25. (M12 for MT, if I recall correctly.) If the knob hasn’t been touched since it left the factory, it will take a bit of brute force. Since you are likely not going to save it as a trophy for display, I’d recommend grabbing a large pair of channel locks.
After the first quarter turn it will come off after an insane amount of thread.

...unless a previous owner JB welded / epoxied the knob on because it kept spinning loose.
Hello Doc,
Thanks for responding so quickly.
In the event that is has been epoxied, do you suppose the shift selector rod could be damaged by using too much force trying to remove the knob? Do you think it would come off at all?
Thank You!
DocSemtex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DocSemtex »

To be honest, it is highly unlikely it is epoxied. There *may* be some sort of thread lock goo. I’ll pull out a legacy AT selector box at our local u-pull-it, double check if it just cranks off with a bit of force and reply with results. Normally, during AT to MT swaps, I just toss the whole thing. :)
DocSemtex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DocSemtex »

Ha! I did have one on hand in the shop.
Yes, it unscrews like a manual knob. I braced the box between knees and used channel locks. It was getting doubtful before it broke free. Crank away
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

DocSemtex wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 pm Ha! I did have one on hand in the shop.
Yes, it unscrews like a manual knob. I braced the box between knees and used channel locks. It was getting doubtful before it broke free. Crank away
Hi Doc,
You've been more than helpful by going out of your way to actually doing it.
Many thanks for your help!
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

SoobyToo58 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:35 am
DocSemtex wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:28 pm Ha! I did have one on hand in the shop.
Hi Doc,
You've been more than helpful by going out of your way to actually doing it.
Many thanks for your help!
Got the old one off. As it turns out, I just wasn't putting enough muscle into it. I grabbed it, squeezed as hard as I could and turned as hard as I could and it started turning. It doesn't turn easily but it came off.
Thanks again!
DocSemtex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DocSemtex »

Glad to hear it!