Well, I'm back...

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Well, I'm back...

Post by kamesama980 »

Sarra wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:43 am Looks, on the vehicle, like that comes off the intake manifold, instead of the turbo itself.

Either way, I have a new pill ordered.

Which is kind of ironic, because it's not doing the bang/CEL thing right now. At least not when I dove it today. I didn't drive it that hard, though...
It always stops making the noise by the time you get it to the mechanic (or by the time the parts show up (but after you order them of course) if you're the mechanic) LOL.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Sarra »

rofl Indeed!
Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Sarra »

I FINALLY solved the P0244 issue. Some mechanic butthole screwed with the wastegate arm, I had to turn it in 5 turns to get it working right.

Now I gotta pull the motor and fix the internals damage from the previous owner running it with a bad injector for who knows how long. >_>
Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Sarra »

Well, I thought I had it fixed, but the P0244 came back.

In the end, I found this:

1) The hose coming off the wastegate actuator was shredded. Torn right open. Replaced this hose.
2) The wastegate arm was too tight. I thought adjusting it in was fixing the problem, but it ended up not fixing it, because...
3) There was a hole poked through the hose with the Pill in it. In one side, out the other. After fixing that, I returned the wastegate arm to it's original position, and had to turn it out half a turn further than it originally was, which means someone DID mess with this before I bought it. The lock nut was also extremely easy to loosen; on my WRX, that nut was basically frozen in place, and even after several soakings with PB Blaster, it wouldn't come loose.
4) The stock TMIC is wrecked. The top of the TMIC has some bent fins, you know, normal damage from being a road-driven vehicle. The back, however, is an ugly, disgusting story. It appears as though someone took the TMIC off the vehicle, threw it on the floor of their garage face down, and stored something on top of the TMIC. Almost 2/3 of the fins on the back of the TMIC are pancaked, just absolutely mashed flat.

So, yeah... My Baja turbo is running better, though I suspect now that, aside from a new TMIC, I'm going to need to pull the motor. It's running a bit rough, but only under acceleration. My thoughts are that it's either a valve spring, or a fuel pump. I'm going to be purchasing an aftermarket higher flowing fuel pump for it, simply because I want to put a new turbo in in the future (that would be #5, for above... There's a leaking oil seal on the CHRA of my TD04), and I don't want fuel pressure issues to hold me back from a good tune.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I saw your other thread but since I don't know jack about engine mechanics I didn't respond there, but is it specifically an STi upgrade you're looking to do on the TMIC? If not, one from a 2004-2008 Forester XT should be a direct swap along with most of the other bits and pieces since it's the same engine in the Baja turbos.
Sarra
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Sarra »

I'm planning on a larger turbo later on, so an intercooler with better capacity for thermal dissipation is a must. It's just stupid to buy a replacement stock turbo for $300-500, then in a few months, spend another $300-600 on another intercooler...