What did you do to your Baja today?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: What did you do to your Baja today?

Post by kamesama980 »

Not today but this weekend: fired up the 05 turbo after refreshing it a bit(gaskets & O-rings and a few other bits) and some light mods. Runs good only 1 oil leak (one of the o-rings in the oil cooler/filter stack).

Now on to the fun part: tuning for mods! already have a VF39 and STI ECU, this was mostly cleanup: aftermarket stainless downpipe, 3" exhaust from the turbo back tucked where it oughta go with flex and flanges (was stock DP to a straight stick of pipe hanging under the bodywork), TGV deletes, evap cleanup, and intake pipe/turbo inlet. Was on a Cobb Stage 2 tune but they have them write protected so I have to start over.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
firebanex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by firebanex »

This post is more of a compilation of what I did all summer to my silver 06 Baja sport. Beyond the list, nothing major needed to be done as the truck runs great and just ticked over the 80k mark last week.

-Nothing too major, but I put a set of led headlight bulbs into my 06 Baja. I got tired of buying the regular bulbs just about yearly and went with led so I dont have to change them ever again (fingers crossed).

-Rally bar from Rally Inovations to hold 3x Baja Designs Squadron Sport led lights, two are driving combo and the third is a 9* spot light.

-1" lift with spacers from ADF. It took 8 hours for my dad and I to do this as neither of us had done this sort of work before. Totally worth it though, the truck looks better and the higher clearance is a godsend for the terrible roads where I live.

-Just got a set of Nokian Hakkapelitta r3 snow tires for this upcoming winter. I'm stoked to actually have good winter tires for once.

-Replacing more inside and outside bulbs with LEDs as the original ones burn out.

-I'll need to get pictures of it. But I added some snaps to the tailgate so I could fasten a tailgate pad on the back for hauling my bikes around. None of the regular bike pads by Raceface/dakine/yakima/thule were short enough to fit right so I had to use a surfboard pad. Works great and looks goooood.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Airborneguy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Airborneguy »

Sent it to the shop for a new radiator, timing belt and all accoutrements, plugs, wires and air filter.
bobjr94
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bobjr94 »

Today...Put in HID's, was going to buy non-turbo single bulb housings and put in led's or extend the cap in the original housing with some pvc pipe so led's would fit, but this way seemed cheaper and easier. I was going to buy some JDM HID housings but after looking closer they looked pretty much identical to the non-hid housings, so I just got the hid conversion on amazon for $28. Light is bright and well focused, not pointing up at oncoming drivers. I should have did this a year ago, seems to work well.

Last project I did before this was a few weeks ago, tgv deletes, so far no problems with that either.
IMG_20180913_181833 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20180913_181833 (Medium).jpg (229.24 KiB) Viewed 155233 times
IMG_20180913_213142 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20180913_213142 (Medium).jpg (167.63 KiB) Viewed 155233 times
The attachment IMG_20180913_181628 (Medium).jpg is no longer available
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Not today, but first mod on my new-to-me Baja.

05 NA 5MT
5speed_or_die
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 5speed_or_die »

List of things done since obtaining my Roo:

Valve cover gaskets
Spark plugs/wires
Coil pack
Various belts
New/bigger tires
Brakes
Rack and pinion
Timing belt/tensioners/water pump
Fuel injectors/O-rings/fuel lines
Thermostat
Crank seal

might be forgetting a thing or two but here’s hoping it lasts 🤞🏻
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Forgot these were on my camera so here's a late 6-month update on the Bolsal exhaust.
Aside from some nasty surface rust on the flanges, so far so good.
Compare these pics to the one I posted here viewtopic.php?p=20565#p20565
Bear in mind too that this is with NO WASHING for the entire winter, purposefully to torture test this exhaust.
DSCN1706.JPG
DSCN1706.JPG (716.18 KiB) Viewed 154299 times
DSCN1703.JPG
DSCN1703.JPG (927.77 KiB) Viewed 154299 times
DSCN1705.JPG
DSCN1705.JPG (850.98 KiB) Viewed 154299 times
cspaugh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cspaugh »

greymud wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 am Not today, but first mod on my new-to-me Baja.

I looked at this for a couple seconds before I realized exactly what I was looking at. Does that not obscure your rear view?
cspaugh
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cspaugh »

This is what I did: Attached hella 500 activity lights to the top of my Baja using Yakima Universal mounts.. oh and washed and waxed it. Hmm do I have to move my pictures somewhere else so I can link them here?
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

[/quote]

I looked at this for a couple seconds before I realized exactly what I was looking at. Does that not obscure your rear view?
[/quote]

It's kind of a mesh, I can't even see the picture from the other side. If I park at night and only have light in front of the vehicle, I can't see it at all from the back.
05 NA 5MT
Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Slopchoppy »

Put the bra on the Baja today. Not sure how I feel about it. Had the Anderson 1” strut spacers and general grabber at2 tires put on a month or so ago. Bought this Baja new and it just hit 200,000 miles. Just Had the engine re-seal and timing belts done so i should be good for a while
Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Slopchoppy »

Photo didn’t send the first time
TrentRoogna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TrentRoogna »

In the past week my Baja has gotten a new clutch and flywheel, new tires and gotten the headlights sanded down to restore clarity.

I waffled a long time on fix/sell, but settled on making it the daily commuter car again.

It’s not the smart practical decision, but I figure it’s replaying the favor to a truck that’s never let me down.
mechanic80
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mechanic80 »

Have yet to see this done. Added a (Nissan Maxima) inside rearview mirror with compas, auto dim and Homelink. The existing mirror was autodim so the wiring was already there. The Homelink is really necessary as I have a gate and two garage doors and I hate the "clip on the visor" doohickeys. Cost about $45 for a used unit. Also got the rear backup camera to display through the new BOSS AM/FM CD player double din with handsfree phone. I'll try to get some pics up.
mechanic80
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mechanic80 »

I just fitted an engine guard made of .10" aluminum diamond plate. Easy-peezy