Heated seats - Is there a fuse and where?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

MAJT
Scoobytruck Lurker

Heated seats - Is there a fuse and where?

Post by MAJT »

Hello all,

My driver side heated seat does not light up or heat up. My passenger side button lights up but doesn't heat up. I've found seat heater schematics and I found them a little confusing. I just need to know if there is a fuse for the heated seats I can check and where is it located. I'm assuming it's behind the lower plastic panel but I don't know what fuse belongs to what. Is there a numbered fuse box diagram anywhere?

2003 Subaru Baja non-turbo - Canadian model

Thanks
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Heated seats - Is there a fuse and where?

Post by Guacamole »

According to the 06 manual, it's fuse 20 under the dash. I checked the 03 manual on the library, but it doesn't have the fuse diagram. Check your owner's manual to confirm, but Auto Genius lists it as fuse 20 for the 2003: http://www.autogenius.info/subaru-baja- ... x-diagram/
1.JPG
1.JPG (422.07 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
MAJT
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MAJT »

This is perfect - thank you!
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

MAJT wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:18 pm Is there a numbered fuse box diagram anywhere?
There should be a fuse diagram on the back of the cover that you pulled out. That cover can be popped out if you can't see the sticker.
Attachments
fuse cover.png
fuse cover.png (145.84 KiB) Viewed 7617 times
MAJT
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MAJT »

Thanks for the extra photo. I asked because the heated seat fuse isn't on that main board. There is a little tiny board that hangs off of it, that holds 4 fuses. I've located the fuse I need to swap out but I will need to take apart the lower panel to access it. Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully it's just a blown fuse.
MAJT
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MAJT »

Well the fuse wasn't blown... what are potential other problems?

- element
- relay
- switches

What's the easiest way to start?
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

Related Q if you don’t mind? I’m finding random unplugged “sockets” in engine bay, under dash (found OBD docket last night:), under driver seat...best way to go about identifying them (without asking mechanic)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

2005 Turbo AT Baja

w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

IMHO Subaru seat heater elements suck, the wire that connects to the pad is probably busted off. You probably need something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Era-Carbon- ... heater+kit

and

https://www.amazon.com/Pliers-Galvanize ... 5D8MNP3KSS

The kit is cheap but is a full day project to get the seats out and swap the elements. If you have a voltmeter you can unplug the connector under the seat and check for voltage when you turn the seat heater button on. There should be two connectors under the seat one 2-pin for the seat power and one 3-pin for the seat heater (if you see a yellow one don't touch it, its for the airbag) The middle pin of the 3-pin is common and the outer pins are for high and low.

ps this is all from memory so should be like 90% correct
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

BajaTim wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:42 pm Related Q if you don’t mind? I’m finding random unplugged “sockets” in engine bay, under dash (found OBD docket last night:), under driver seat...best way to go about identifying them (without asking mechanic)?

Most (all?) of those sockets are diagnostic ports and there are a few you can hook together with negative results (don't ask how I know)
Rsmith8126
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Rsmith8126 »

w.rohr wrote:IMHO Subaru seat heater elements suck, the wire that connects to the pad is probably busted off. You probably need something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Era-Carbon- ... heater+kit

and

https://www.amazon.com/Pliers-Galvanize ... 5D8MNP3KSS

The kit is cheap but is a full day project to get the seats out and swap the elements. If you have a voltmeter you can unplug the connector under the seat and check for voltage when you turn the seat heater button on. There should be two connectors under the seat one 2-pin for the seat power and one 3-pin for the seat heater (if you see a yellow one don't touch it, its for the airbag) The middle pin of the 3-pin is common and the outer pins are for high and low.

ps this is all from memory so should be like 90% correct
I have 2 elements out of my 2005 baja you can have free they look good not burnt let me know Ronnie