General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Presentation - Baja in Switerland

Post by JEM »

Dear All,

Sorry about my English, this is not my mother tongue. I will do my best. :D
I don't know where to post my presentation, so I hope here will be fine. If not, could admin move to the correct section ? thanks :wink:
So, I'm a fresh owner of a Baja in Switzerland, in Europe.
It's a 2004, 2.5 manual gear. This is a very rare pick-up here in our country ! and only 3 or 4 to sell in europe. I fall in love ! but...
Could I have some help please ? I would like to know if there is a way to switch odometer on Km dispay ? for the speed, it's ok, I have both : Km/h and miles. And other question, is there a way to have the "tonneau cover" for the back ? The seller doesn't have it, and no way to have one other than US and / or Canada. Do you have a link(s) ? And to what must I be careful before buying in US ? Are they all the same ? I want to close the back with a key, just in case of some stuff let in.
Many thanks for you help, best regards.
JEM
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Presentation - Baja in Switerland

Post by kamesama980 »

Sadly (for us) your English is better than many who can't speak any other language.

Not sure on the Odometer, sorry.

As for the tonneau, buying one will be hard: since the car's been out of production for 12 years, it can't be bought new and most used sellers will hesitate to sell internationally. There are many DIY (do-it-yourself) versions but their security is only as good as your workmanship.

On the technical side, I'm not aware of any variation on the body across the years so any cap or cover listed as being for the Baja will fit the same.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Guten tag mein freund!
You DID make a nice find, & welcome to the club! I'm actually curious to know how these even wound up over there!
As to your questions:
1. The odometer is permanently set to miles. A Subaru dealer *may* be able to reprogram it, but I'm not entirely certain and it may also cost quite a bit if it is possible.

2. All the baja-made tonneau covers are compatible for all bajas- the body dimensions are the same for all years & models. There were 2 Subaru-made tonneaus (a soft cover & a hard cover), along with 3 third-party models made by Penda, Snuglid, & Ozzbros. Ozzbros, however, is the only one still being made (http://www.ozzbros.com/), and it costs around $700 (roughly 645 CHF), but I do not know if they ship internationally. As Kamesama said, the only option for you may be to build one yourself.
ON that note, there's actually another Scoobytrucker up in Holland who has a custom bed cover, here's one of his posts: viewtopic.php?p=16406#p16406, maybe send him a PM for advice and/or pictures if he still owns his?
JEM
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JEM »

Hello Friends,
Ah... also deutsch ? Ich habe alles vergessen...
Thanks for all your messages, very kind :wink:
Ok, I will see with a SUB garage to try to swap in KM. I saw this site for the cover and another one but doesn't ship outside of US.
I know that there is a "soft" and "hard" cover, I would prefer the hard one. I have a friend who is job is to import US stuff to europe with contacts in US. It's ok for him to do the job, so it could "normally" not be a problem. I know it's very expensive, but I don't anderstand how the last owner could have "lost" it... it's so useful...! :shock:
I will also see your link. I will tell you in a few days the ending story [smilie=666.gif]