New baja owner, some questions.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

03bajaSport
Scoobytruck Lurker

New baja owner, some questions.

Post by 03bajaSport »

Hey all,
So we recently (last June) got a 03 Baja Sport AT in Mystic Blue with 255k on the clock and had the head gaskets water pump timing belt and radiator replaced, also got a new oil pan (old one was dented) we took it off the road for a CEL issue but recently just put it back on the road after my 01 OB started having some small issues. The CEL is gone and it passed MA state insp. yesterday! Side skirts are off so we could weld a hole in the rocker...lol

Image26828791_1966521866697651_1302264854_o by David Ashe, on Flickr

I love the car and I know a lot of parts are dealer only or impossible to find (bed cover etc) but i have a couple questions:

1. How much is shared between the Baja and a gen 2 outback? It seems they are basically the same car minus the bed/hatch area.

2. Cruise Control is sketchy, takes a couple tires to get it to engage or disengage, could it be the switch or something else?

3. Does anyone have the pictures associated with making a bed cover for it, they are all the hotlink error on the post.

Thanks in advance!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: New baja owner, some questions.

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there,
Firstly congrats on the purchase & welcome to the club!

1. The Baja (all years) is based on the Gen-2 OB, which is based on the Gen-3 Legacy. Everything from the rear tires forward is shared with these two platforms with the exception of the suspension, fenders, bumpers, roof rails, rear seat, plastic outer body panels & a few other minor things. Everything in the bed, the sports bars, & rear window are Baja-exclusive (also those mentioned above).

2. Are you having trouble with the dash button or the steering column paddle? The button can easily wear out but is easily replaceable & there's parts-a-plenty. You can find them on ebay for about $8-20. OB, Legacy, & Baja cruise switches are all the same.
Here's one I just did a quick search on: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DASH-CRUISE-CO ... i-&vxp=mtr
(it's the brown switch in the center)

3. The best thread's been nuked by Photobucket unfortunately.
03bajaSport
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 03bajaSport »

Guacamole wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:05 pm Hey there,
Firstly congrats on the purchase & welcome to the club!

1. The Baja (all years) is based on the Gen-2 OB, which is based on the Gen-3 Legacy. Everything from the rear tires forward is shared with these two platforms with the exception of the suspension, fenders, bumpers, roof rails, rear seat, plastic outer body panels & a few other minor things. Everything in the bed, the sports bars, & rear window are Baja-exclusive (also those mentioned above).

2. Are you having trouble with the dash button or the steering column paddle? The button can easily wear out but is easily replaceable & there's parts-a-plenty. You can find them on ebay for about $8-20. OB, Legacy, & Baja cruise switches are all the same.
Here's one I just did a quick search on: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DASH-CRUISE-CO ... i-&vxp=mtr
(it's the brown switch in the center)

3. The best thread's been nuked by Photobucket unfortunately.
Thanks!

Its the wheel paddle that's being well finicky. Basically i have to hold it 2x as long as my OB one to engage/disengage.

I am not too scared of electrical work as i did the led's on the OB dash/console etc. Also replaced my drivers side door plunger cause the baja one was dead. Tomorrow will be speakers and reattaching my sideskirts
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

The paddle's done that a few times on mine. It's probably just the switch wearing out like I mentioned on the button. I just looked through the FSM for replacing that switch, and you'll have to get behind the airbag in order to replace it.
03bajaSport
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 03bajaSport »

Guacamole wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 pm The paddle's done that a few times on mine. It's probably just the switch wearing out like I mentioned on the button. I just looked through the FSM for replacing that switch, and you'll have to get behind the airbag in order to replace it.
Thanks again, ill look into it. Is there anywhere i can locate a copy of the FSM?

Also there are aluminum plates on the sides and tailgate tops that look like there may have been a snap on style cover at one point and also a weird set of 2 odd shaped holes on either side of the top bed sides under the rear bars.
Image20180111_000509 by David Ashe, on Flickr
Image20180111_000504 by David Ashe, on Flickr

Ideas?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Here's a link to the FSM master manual: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... a%20only)/
It's for the 06 but it applies to all Baja models.
Here's a direct link to the cruise system: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... SYSTEM.pdf Cruise control command switch is on page CC-7.
Here's a direct link to the airbag system: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... SYSTEM.pdf Driver's airbag is on page AB-13

Those rails and holes are what's left over from the optional soft bed cover. Mine had one too at one point, but now only the sealed holes are left. It's not uncommon to see those left over. Most sellers don't know what they're for since the bed cover probably wore out years ago and was tossed. Also, no Subaru does not make these anymore.
http://www.scoobytruck.com/pdf/2003MY_B ... te_IxI.pdf
03bajaSport
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 03bajaSport »

Guacamole wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm Here's a link to the FSM master manual: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... a%20only)/
It's for the 06 but it applies to all Baja models.
Here's a direct link to the cruise system: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... SYSTEM.pdf Cruise control command switch is on page CC-7.
Here's a direct link to the airbag system: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Ba ... SYSTEM.pdf Driver's airbag is on page AB-13

Those rails and holes are what's left over from the optional soft bed cover. Mine had one too at one point, but now only the sealed holes are left. It's not uncommon to see those left over. Most sellers don't know what they're for since the bed cover probably wore out years ago and was tossed. Also, no Subaru does not make these anymore.
http://www.scoobytruck.com/pdf/2003MY_B ... te_IxI.pdf
Thank you so much for the info Guacamole :D

Shame about the bed cover, it looks pretty neat. I doubt any exist and if they do they are a pretty penny.

In other news i went about replacing my semi blown right front speaker, to find it was not only a aftermarket Infinity speaker, but they had put dynamat all over the inside of the doors. This saves me a massive step, but also makes me sad they left the factory CD player with a broken button 4 on it in the car AND i am certain there are either stock blown or non existent speakers in the rear doors...lol.

My OB has the tweeter package so i may steal those and possibly the heated mirrors. Oh and it's kenwood media player...lol. I'll keep ya updated with the progress as i am gonna do a LED swap for the dash (mine are so dim its nearly off) and LED's for the outside stuff (except headlights, as i know it causes issues with our housings being made for halogen) Any suggestions here would be great.

Oh quick question what are the door light bulb sizes?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Yeah, finding any of the bed covers in relatively good condition is rare. Ozzbros and ARE however do still make their respective toppers, but they're crazy expensive (~$700 for a new Ozz, ~$2,000 for a new ARE). The Sluglid though is by far the most wanted. Some good-condition soft covers do still exist, but you'd probably have to pass The Pendulum, Cobbles, & Invisible Bridge to find one.

The OEM speakers are notorious for blowing out for no reason after a few years. Luckily they're extremely easy to replace. Easy way to check if they're bad & not the wiring- take a magnet and stick it to the back of the speaker, if the speaker "pops" it's still good. You may not be able to swap the heated mirrors over: all the Bajas (US, Canada, & Chile models) were never wired for them. Canada models however do have heated windshields.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3435&p=19231

According to the owner's manual, the door step lights are 12V-3.4W.
Reverend
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Reverend »

Looks like you've started like I have: fixin shit first! Got any lofty (or lifty) ideas for the future on yours yet?
03bajaSport
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 03bajaSport »

@guacamole That's unfortunate on many fronts, but alas i will go on! I am pretty sure i can fabricate something for the rear cover.

@Reverend I do plan a 2 inch Sumo lift since i have 17's i wanna put AT grabbers on :D Also wanna make a rear cover, intake and exhaust and possibly a turbo hood for looks :)
03bajaSport
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 03bajaSport »

So how early were the 2004 colors available for the 03? Mystic Blue pearl is a 04 color and this baja was made in May of 03. I'm thinking this was a special order now which makes me want to restore it even more (paint needs some work)
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

The monotone mystic blue pearl color was available for the 03, but only for the sport model, not the classic. You've got one of the rarer 03s. The 04s had all the color options of the 03s along with a new selection.
03bajaSport
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 03bajaSport »

Guacamole wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:40 pm The monotone mystic blue pearl color was available for the 03, but only for the sport model, not the classic. You've got one of the rarer 03s. The 04s had all the color options of the 03s along with a new selection.
Awesome thanks for the info :D

Quick question, i am wanting to do the LED's inside and out and i don't know if my outside sockets are normal or the SCK style without pulling it apart, i figured i would ask the all know guac first as it's in the 20's here...lol

Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I don't know sh*t about lights, sorry. :lol: I just take out my burnt bulbs then drive to NAPA & say "I need this".
03bajaSport
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 03bajaSport »

Guacamole wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 am I don't know sh*t about lights, sorry. :lol: I just take out my burnt bulbs then drive to NAPA & say "I need this".
No worries man, you have been more than helpful!

So today i had my old canister Strup muffler put on, dropped it off and when i picked it up my exhaust guy had made it bolt on! That was pretty awesome of him. It is loud but not overbearing but has a little of the subie rumble, but needs UEL headers to really make that work. So i am gonna ask him to make one side longer unless there is a NA header that would work?