04 Baja need lifted

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Matt12west
Scoobytruck Lurker

04 Baja need lifted

Post by Matt12west »

I have an 04 Baja sport and I'm wanting to put some bfg KO2 mud tires on I've read about putting the 2in lift (strut spacers) and maybe wheel spacers also. Any advice on where to buy and what all I should need to put a bigger tire on? Any advice will be appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_0433.PNG
IMG_0433.PNG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 11864 times
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: 04 Baja need lifted

Post by bajaguy »

rglass1040
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by rglass1040 »

I just did my '06. Did a 1" from Gorilla. I preferred the nylon/urethane material as a spacer rather than aluminum or steel. Didn't want metal on metal contact. Not too difficult other than spreading the axle down on the rear. Hard to believe it is possible to get another inch over the 1 but its being done. I used the scissor jack in between the axle and body from the beginning during disassembly. Makes it much easier. Leave it in place while you work on the strut. I put 215/65-16 General Mud Grabbers. Lots cheaper than the K02 and every bit the grip. Find Generals to last much longer also. Can be studded if that's a need. I think I could have done a 215/70 for maybe 1/2" height w/o trimming. Gonna do a test fit of wife's '18 Crosstrek wheel and tire to see how that works out.
Overall, I love the ride and feel of the truck now. Sits as it should. I would love to have it taller but since I am going to be towing it I need to keep the tow point lower than the hitch on the motorhome. It will still take care of business on the trails
Rich
'06 Baja, Black, 1" Lift, 215/65 Generals
'18 Crosstrek, Sunshine Orange
Matt12west
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Matt12west »

Thanks for the info! I’m assuming you bought new rims as well for the wider tire? Could you post some pics?
rglass1040
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by rglass1040 »

IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG (635.29 KiB) Viewed 11502 times
Baja.jpg
Baja.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 11502 times
Thanks for the info! I’m assuming you bought new rims as well for the wider tire? Could you post some pics?
Mounted on stock rims. These tires are actually narrower than the 225/60 street tires that were on it. Kinda wish I went with the 2" now for the look but it really wouldn't provide much better tire clearance and just stressed the axles more. I did replace all for when I did the lift just for peace of mind and they are really simple and not that expensive for better than OEM replacements. The tire clearance issue is the front of the rear wheel well and the rear of the fronts. A small amount of clearancing will get maybe a 1" more tire.
Rich
CNaylor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by CNaylor »

I'm looking to lift my '05 Baja as well.

Can you expand upon the following comment:
Not too difficult other than spreading the axle down on the rear. Hard to believe it is possible to get another inch over the 1 but its being done.
Did you replace struts at the same time? Did you gain any additional clearance w/ mods from factory on them?

Thanks in advance.
rglass1040
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by rglass1040 »

Did you replace struts at the same time? Did you gain any additional clearance w/ mods from factory on them?
I did replace the rear struts and tops front and rear. Rebuilt the rear with original springs. It is very simple to add the spacers to the top of the struts then simply reinstall the assembly. Trick is putting the factory screw jack in between the body and the rear suspension to keep it spread apart while you disassemble then cranking it wider to spread far enough to install the taller strut assembly. Able to get a good 1 1/4" out of it. Wish I had went with 2" for looks instead of the 1" but you really get no better tire clearance and didn't need to stress the CV's any more than necessary. I replaced the front CV' while apart.
Rich
Rwilliamtaylor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Rwilliamtaylor »

If you’re looking for a bit more lift... 4” ADF lift with 235/75/15 KO2s and 15” Method Race Wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk