Need input on major motor issues ***SOLVED***

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Thatrobbguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Need input on major motor issues ***SOLVED***

Post by Thatrobbguy »

Hey guys I'm at a loss with my baja at the moment. It's an 03 NA all stock with 250k miles. So the story goes like this.. the high mile ej251 engine finally went which I swapped in another 251 from an out back everything went perfect it seems I swapped everything off my motor intake, sensors, cam gears literally everything to avoid and hiccups. Only issue was the replacement did not have an egr port for the head so I blocked it off (cel) not an issue in my county. All put together she fired up perfectly but here's where my issue lies.. she is pouring white smoke I'm talking fog machine style and I know subaru=head gaskets but hear me out the exhaust is spitting gas out and the oil pan is filling with gas as well now I'm obviously not gonna drive it like that so don't worry. Tomorrow I'm gonna change plugs and run a compression test and try to find a code reader but I just want some other opinions. I thought it was a stuck injector so I replaced the passenger rails still the same issue I'll do the driver side tomorrow for a giggle but I really don't want to pull the motor again. What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Last edited by Thatrobbguy on Fri May 05, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thatrobbguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Need input on major motor issues

Post by Thatrobbguy »

little bit of an update. ran a compression test and all 4 cyls are the same. i replaced the plugs and wires cleaned all the sensors on the throttle/intake checked all my injectors and did a CEL scan resulting in codes P1494, P1496, P0400 P0172 half of which are for the egr block off. i did the old screwdriver to ear trick on the injectors allowing me to hear the constant tick in all but cyl 1 so i replaced it but still no go. truck is still pouring white smoke due to excess raw gas the oil pan was way too full with you guessed it, gas. the truck is a little shakey but it sounds to be running fine i wouldnt call it a miss even. could it be off time a tooth or two ? any input at all would be fantastic as im quickly approaching the selling point
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

You say compression was the same on all cylinders but what was the actual reading? Did you do it hot, WOT, with all plugs out?

I've never seen gas smoke white. white fog-machine style certainly sounds like BHG (That's what my Cressida did) It's possible you have more than one problem. You have P1072 (system rich, bank 1) but what are your fuel trims?

Any word on the history of the engine/doner car? perhaps the engine was available specifically because it was shot?
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Thatrobbguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Thatrobbguy »

all plugs in throttle wasnt open reading 90psi across. the donor was wrecked front end 130k and was still drivable at the time of pull. i know its not head gaskets the white smoke is 100% raw fuel its just spraying out the pipe ive used a half tank of fuel idling for 20 mins to operating temp. quick search on youtube for injector stuck open shows exactly whats going on but ive replaced the one that doesnt seem to be ticking and still it just seems to be shooting fuel. im thinking my timing is off a few teeth at this point
Thatrobbguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Need input on major motor issues ***SOLVED***

Post by Thatrobbguy »

turns out when i connected the brown engine plug i somehow bent cylinder ones injector wire for the pulse. it ended leaving the injector open all the time and just pumping fuel into the cylinder, since ive got that sorted she seems to run perfect!