What is the point of Stop & Turn Module?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Romy
Scoobytruck Lurker

What is the point of Stop & Turn Module?

Post by Romy »

Does anyone know the actual purpose of the stop & turn module? They are a Baja unique part.

I'm swapping an 04 STI engine into my 02 Outback using Baja Turbo parts. The Baja's have this 'stop & turn module' whereas the Outback's don't. It appears to essentially split off the trailer wiring and functionality of the turn signals/brake lights, but I have no idea why it would be needed. Do Baja's do something different with their stop/turn signals? Are they two in one (as on a 4 pin trailer harness)? I don't have a donor Baja otherwise I would check.

I'm thinking I'll take it out of the bulkhead harness and rewire to something more similar to what the Outback had - there's limited room for pins on the harness that goes to the rear of the Outback and I honestly don't see a point to the module. The wire gauge for the module and resultant connections (turn signals, hazard switch) is larger than on the Outback, making me wonder if perhaps all the lights on the back of the Baja are for stopping and or turning (instead of as running lights only, like the rear gate lights on an Outback). Alternatively I could just jump pins and bridge it over to the trailer lights...

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: What is the point of Stop & Turn Module?

Post by Guacamole »

I'm not familiar with lighting & wiring on cars, but regarding the rear lights, all of the three lights function as brake lights. There is also a set of bed illumination lights (cargo lights) mounted beside the third top light that was baja-exclusive. Here's the light diagram from the owner's manual, maybe this will shed some light (no pun intended) on the part?
5165165.JPG
5165165.JPG (130.09 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
Just in case, here's also a link to the '06 owner's manual on file here. Note that only the 03 Classic and 04-06 Turbo (identified as "Baja-B") models only featured the 4-beam headlights. Also note that Sport Activity Lights are an optional add on.

http://www.scoobytruck.com/pdf/2006_baj ... manual.pdf
Lighting starts on page 11-63
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: What is the point of Stop & Turn Module?

Post by anarchy1024 »

The rear lights on the 02 Outback have separate bulbs for turn and stop, but the Baja uses the same bulbs for turn/stop. The module likely handles the logic for which should be on/off given the different scenarios (turning while braking, etc.).