Trans swap help.

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Subiedude89
Scoobytruck Lurker

Trans swap help.

Post by Subiedude89 »

So I have an 05 Baja. At/NA my trans is tired 331k tired. So I bought a trans from a guy supposed to be out of an 04 outback...Trans code says otherwise lol. Tz1a4zcdca-rn is from an 02 legacy... How screwed am I?
Can I swap transfer duty solenoid and valve body and be good to go?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Trans swap help.

Post by Guacamole »

I *think* as long as the drive ratios are the same you should be fine. All NA Bajas use a 4.111 final drive ratio. I am no expert on transmissions, & the internet seems to be EXTREMELY lax on 2000-2006 subie model information.
Subiedude89
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subiedude89 »

I'm 80% sure my 05 is 4.44.
My concern was the change in the duty c solenoid function between years.
I think I'm going to swap front and rear diffs and keep the tired trans for now
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Well, I have absolutely no idea then. Sorry!

EDIT: I did more digging on subie transmissions in general, and it's just going farther down the rabbit hole with numbers making my brain hurt...
On the other hand! This: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/ ... r2005.html has the final drive listed for the forester trans for BOTH automatic & manual, & auto NA is 4.444. I know for a fact the Baja Turbo drivetrain is Forester XT, so maybe the NA Bajas actually use NA Forester drivetrains..?
Subiedude89
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subiedude89 »

No worries! Thanks for trying! I've found that as far as referencing trans codes, 04 05 06 Baja and 04 outback are the only at trans that are plug and play for my 05 NA / AT.

The determining factors were the final drive ratio and newer duty c solenoid setup.

In my case, I'm taking the front and rear diffs from that legacy trans 02. Swapping with mine on the Baja. I'll still have my tires trans but my front and rear diffs will be kosher for another 100k miles or so. I'll be gaining fuel economy but losing some acceleration. Fair trade for me as I drive 600 miles per week usually.
syotos885
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by syotos885 »

Subiedude89 wrote:No worries! Thanks for trying! I've found that as far as referencing trans codes, 04 05 06 Baja and 04 outback are the only at trans that are plug and play for my 05 NA / AT.

The determining factors were the final drive ratio and newer duty c solenoid setup.

In my case, I'm taking the front and rear diffs from that legacy trans 02. Swapping with mine on the Baja. I'll still have my tires trans but my front and rear diffs will be kosher for another 100k miles or so. I'll be gaining fuel economy but losing some acceleration. Fair trade for me as I drive 600 miles per week usually.

If you didn't get that transmission figured out. I bought mine and brought it to a guy who swore he knew Subaru's and all the transmissions are the same, well long story short the ratios were the same but the wiring harness was different so when I plugged everything in and started it I got a oil temp code, didn't have a tach or speedometer and was in limp home mode. Turned out it was the wrong transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Subiedude89
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subiedude89 »

I completely forgot to repost. So the swapping the diffs didn't pan out as I completely disregarded the fact that my trans had a 4.44 pinion trying to spin a 4.11 gear....instant fail. So I kept the 4.11 legacy diff I had installed and found an 04 legacy base model trans. Same trans as the baja of my year with different gear ratios. Its geared to 4.11 so I matched my rear diff. Plug and play on the harness. I will say there is a delay in the shifting when under heavy throttle. I drive in sport mode most the time anyways.