Starr's photo reference thread / dare I say members journal

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Starr's photo reference thread / dare I say members journal

Post by starr- »

Bump to the question above^ ?

Went to central Oregon for thanksgiving... needless to say I didn't get to ride the dirt bike. haha
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Removed crappy spray on tint from previous owner today. Removed and masked each piece and then slowly cleaned them with brake fluid (doesn't damage the plastic). Hopefully get them a light professionally tint in the future when the front windows get done.
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

bajaguy wrote:Most speakers are pretty close if not identical regarding bolt pattern. Mine required drilling 4 new holes but that was it. Just plug and play. Replacing the head unit can be slightly more challenging though. I'm liking where your Baja is headed, Cory!
What Brands and models of aftermarket would you recommend that will fit with minimal modifications. Drilling holes are a piece of cake and i don't mind that.
Thanks,
James
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Hey sorry never saw your question. These were the 3 I was mainly looking at:
Pretty much all 6.5" speakers are going to be an easy install. You may have to get a plastic spacer to move the speaker away from the window when it rolls down if the driver is too large but that's it. Also these ones were all rated pretty good for base and midtones which I wanted sense I am not going to get a sub.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0LYU2S/?tag=consumertop-20
http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-DS65-Coax- ... merReviews

the ones I got:
They are components (tweeter is separate from woofer) so it take a little bit more work being that you have to put the tweeter in the stock housing (at least for the front) but they sound great!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037PH2CY/?tag=consumertop-20
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Grill should be finished up (sitting with 1 coat of primer now) and re-installed within a week.

Still not sure what badge I want to replace the fugly pink badge that was on it. If anyone has a recommendation please share! Would love to have a normal stars badge with a red backdrop but cant find one. Another option could be one of those overlays?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

starr- wrote:Still not sure what badge I want to replace the fugly pink badge that was on it. If anyone has a recommendation please share!
Batman symbol.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

lol that would work on this car
I actually saw a pacman eating the subaru stars emblem on a car before but it must have been custom.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

I like it! Did you have to fill the gaps in the grille or did cutting them off result in the smoothish surface all the way around? If you find a stock badge they can be painted from behind...
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Tis the season for updates!
The baja now is fully catless! 2007 catless wrx up pipe and 3" TBE. Downpipe was an ebay CL find and the midpipe / axleback were custom made at the muffler shop for 200 bucks (chose to bring in my own "magnaflow performance series 12219" muffler). Wish I would have been a little bit more of a dick to get what I wanted/asked for though... I got my side exit but I really wanted a sideways exit on it so that I could later put on a side ways exit dual tip. Maybe this summer I can make it work still or just go ahead and go with a black chrome dual tip for it.
Got the STI intercooler installed... more of a headache than I thought.
Installed grimspeed 3 port ebcs when I got to the tuning shop.
Tuned at Horizontal Motorsports in Portland.
Ended up with 264 torque and saw a peak of 218 hp on the last run with 16.5psi. I definitely made sure they did a conservative tune being that the car still has the original transmission in it with 220k miles... I'll be honest I did think the hp number would be higher though. Does this seem normal for these modifications? Who knows maybe gas milage will increase some. Either way the car feels great and puts a smile on my face!

Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Those numbers do seem low but that is to be expected from a dyno, Mustang dynos are notorious for that. I would suspect you are north of 300. Give this a read, it explains just how much difference dynos can read in HP and why: http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/pag ... /prd64.htm How the dyno is setup can skew the results either way high or way low as well. One RWD car I own that should be right at 400Hp dyno'd at 540Hp on a local shop's dyno when they did a club day, nice numbers but not real because the dyno was new to the shop and not configured correctly. Lots of people were very pleased at their high "Score" that day ;)

But, what counts is your tune and the good news is you should be fine there, the dyno just simulates the car on the road and so long as the AFR, timing, EGTs are right and your not boost creaping then what your "score" on the dyno is has little real value. If you want a nice 12Hp bump install a Subaru SPT intake and mod it with a 45deg hose to put the filter in the fender and do a TGV delete. There are tons of guides out there on how to do it, takes about an afternoon, and you will need the tuner to go in and delete the TGV fault code which is quick and does not need a re-tune.

*edit* Add a Perrin inlet hose to that mix as well and you should see a 20Hp bump total. The best time to do that is when you do the TGV delete and get ready for allot of grunting and profanity trying to get that inlet hose in place.

That STi intercooler is a great match, I am really maxed out on mine at this point and could go more but I would need to change out to a new one. Its an easy swap and then a new tune for more boost but I am kind of using that as a place to draw the line since I do use the truck for a winter bad weather commuter and for truck things year round.

Portland I see, are you going to the Retro Gaming Expo there in October? We have a booth at the show so stop by if you do.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Yeah I was expecting that coming in to it but always figured it was like around a drop of 10. I did read that stock STI's often read around 230-250hp on mustang so that does make more sense. I decided I do want to call in though just to see if the numbers he was saying around the shop after the tune "increase of 100 torque and around 30-40hp" was in reference to what a stock 255 td04 makes on that dyno. Just for my own clarification and curiosity.

I will keep those future upgrades in mind thanks!

And I don't think I could make that in October as I will be studying in Newport at the Hatfield Research Center. If any chance you will be at the Big NorthWest Subaru event I am going to be going to that!
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Unfortunately I live on the other side of the country near DC so making the West coast Subaru shows are not likely with my work schedule if I drove a car out.

Yep, you still have some easily available Hp on the table before you get into bigger turbos and all that. If you know, what size injectors are you using and what was their duty cycle?
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

I think I may have thrown this picture up in one of the stickies but what the hell I'll add it to this too being that its been forever since an update. Since my last post:
-Finished up the grill. Used a metallic gunmetal for the main body and a gloss black around the edge where the chrome used to be. Still need to pick out a badge for it though...
-Replaced the fogging, leaking, and simply no longer working front headlights (was using fog lights) with some true HID JDM legacy headlights. They aim hard to the left so I need to get in there and see if I can adjust them better to help preserve other drivers vision.
-Put in radio trim from a 01' outback so I now have the cup holder up above (LOVE IT) which is a big help with the 5 speed. Wrapped the radio trim in a 3M brushed metal vinyl and is turning out nice. Will post pics at some point but want to get a new shift boot with tabs that aren't broken first.
-Hated how bright the blue LEDs were so switched them all out to red. The red is very dim and can hardly be seen during the day :| but it looks nice at night!
-Got new rims (Drag DR-33s in dark grey) through discount tire. All said and done they were only like $286 mounted and balanced after a $100 rebate.

I think thats it. Got a new kayak to replace my little one [smilie=666.gif] but thats not very baja related I suppose. Hopefully I'll take some non-cellphone pics soon to throw up on here.
~Cory

starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Finished putting in the new boot and wrapping the radio trim!
Before:
After:
industryrocker
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by industryrocker »

Looks great.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk