RuhRoh's daily EJmino

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

RuhRoh's daily EJmino

Post by RuhRoh »

So I figured why not write up a build thread, well...lets call it a progress thread instead.

I have been searching for a Baja to replace my WRX as a daily so I can focus more on getting the WRX into more of a good weather/track car. I finally gave in on trying to buy local and took a chance by buying this 2006 Baja turbo with a 5-speed without test driving and actually looking at it as I am in Florida and the car was located in Colorado.

This was the picture I had to run off of when buying it. Yes the bed cap came with it and no I decided not to sell it.

The day she showed up and fresh off the transport truck she needed a bath big time. I also pulled the ARE bed cap off to fix some shoddy wiring as well as store it inside.

How she sits at the time of writing this post...

Main plans for the Baja are:
Lower slightly [Lowered on Spec B struts]
Fit some 18x8 (maybe 18x9) wheels
Roll fenders
Replace headlights [Replaced with retrofitted lights]
Fix various dents and scratches
More aggressive hood scoop (without making my own) [Bought S401 scoop]

Problems to fix:
Find mystery oil leak and fix
Rear driver power window doesn't work (from either switch) [FIXED]
Figure out why rear cigarette light port doesn't work at all [FIXED]
Last edited by RuhRoh on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
My 2006 Baja turbo thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3176
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: RuhRoh's daily EJmino

Post by RuhRoh »

A couple weeks back I got a wild hair and decided the stock radio was not going to cut it any longer

So I picked up this Pioneer AVH-X2700BS to take over the tune control.

In the process, because I hate wiring, I decided to take a break and remove all dash trim and window switch trim to rid it of the factory silver....I think the satin black looks much nicer with the radio now

Finished product and boy does it sound as good as it looks
dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dalerich »

Nice looking ride. I agree the black center dash looks much better, I did the same. Thanks for the reply about the fog lights. A colored film over them sound like a great easy way to make the change.
2005 Baja Sport
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RuhRoh »

dalerich wrote:Nice looking ride. I agree the black center dash looks much better, I did the same. Thanks for the reply about the fog lights. A colored film over them sound like a great easy way to make the change.
Thanks man.

It's not a problem, I prefer the film versus the bulbs since the fogs are glass I would rather protect the glass from rocks the best I can. Plus finding the white bulbs is easy compared to the yellow ones....and cheaper.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Cool nice to see a couple more people doing progress threads! Wish the mods would make a new folder/thread dedicated to them for this sight.
Did you end up just taping off the HVAC controls or buy a black piece from a legacy or 03 baja? (I taped mine off and it was a pain in the ass with the metallic paint I chose)
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RuhRoh »

starr- wrote:Cool nice to see a couple more people doing progress threads! Wish the mods would make a new folder/thread dedicated to them for this sight.
Did you end up just taping off the HVAC controls or buy a black piece from a legacy or 03 baja? (I taped mine off and it was a pain in the ass with the metallic paint I chose)
You know... like a "members rides" section would be a pretty good idea

I actually pulled the faceplate off the HVAC control piece. All I had to tape off was the surrounding areas for the knobs as I didn't want to cover the control selections. I should have taken more pictures in the process but I tend to forget.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Following!
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RuhRoh »

Been busier than normal lately but I have found time to source out the problem with my rear power outlet having no power....

This mystery 20A fuse hiding at the bottom, behind the coin pocket on the dash, was the culprit of the problem.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

No way...maybe that's why mine isn't working. I've traced wires and everything. Didn't realize there was a fuse down below that could be the cause. Must have been an afterthought?
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RuhRoh »

bajaguy wrote:No way...maybe that's why mine isn't working. I've traced wires and everything. Didn't realize there was a fuse down below that could be the cause. Must have been an afterthought?
It's worth pulling and looking at... mine was blown. I just happen to have someone mention checking it. I never noticed it before either.
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RuhRoh »

So after weeks of measuring and debating I think I have finally figured out the size of wheels and color I plan to go with....just have to decide on style now

Both options are 18x9 et+25 in Bronze

Option 1:

Option 2:

Now to figure out the suspension, and since it is a daily I want to steer away from coils and GR suspension as I'm not wanting to go that low.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

RuhRoh wrote:Now to figure out the suspension, and since it is a daily I want to steer away from coils and GR suspension as I'm not wanting to go that low.
What are you thinking of getting? I couldn't find much selection that maintained the existing height... Unless you're thinking of dropping it at least a couple inches, then there seems to be lots of choice (Legacy GT parts are bolt-on compatible, IIRC).
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RuhRoh »

anarchy1024 wrote:What are you thinking of getting? I couldn't find much selection that maintained the existing height... Unless you're thinking of dropping it at least a couple inches, then there seems to be lots of choice (Legacy GT parts are bolt-on compatible, IIRC).
Yeah I want to lower it so that's round about what I was thinking of doing but I have yet to see a good picture of a Baja on legacy springs and struts. I have a good friend willing to sell me his Bilstein suspension off his legacy spec-b. I figure with that I will need some saggy butt spacers to go with it.

I may just have to take the risk and go for it anyways and hope it sits where I want it to.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

I like the wheels! Please don't do some ridiculous stretched tire business...
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RuhRoh »

bajaguy wrote:I like the wheels! Please don't do some ridiculous stretched tire business...
Oh definitely not happening....255s all the way. I have 265s on the WRX and after I finish the wide body it will have much larger :evil:

Function>Form