Starr's photo reference thread / dare I say members journal

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Starr's photo reference thread / dare I say members journal

Post by starr- »

Picked up my third baja a 06 MT baja-t summer of 2015 to replace my much loved 2000 impreza wagon that I have owned during all 3 bajas (http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t176181 ... -swag.html if you're bored). Drove 5 hours to pick it up and towed back to portland from medford being that it had a 07 wrx swap in the engine bay that had yet to be finished. Anyways a little about me... I am pursuing a career in fisheries management, love kayak fishing, wish I was dirt biking more, and call Portland (clackamas county) home.

Anyways for now... this will just be a thread to occasionally throw up a picture or two of either updates or for when I do something fun with the car.

Current
Engine:
07 255 wrx block
07 wrx catless up pipe
STI tmic w/ GS silicone hoses
Full 3" Turbo back exhaust
Grimspeed 3 port Electronic Boost Controller
Tune done at HMS

Exterior:
Geolander G015 215 65 16
1" DIY HDPE strut spacers
2000-2004 KYB GR2 outback struts
DRAG DR-33 16x6.5
Yakima rail grab roof rack
Gorilla mudflaps
Hella Horns
Hitch & Dirtbike hitch Extension
Rock Deflector
Customized black/gunmetal grill with metal mesh
JDM B4 Legacy Headlights

Interior:
2011 WRX shift knob and boot
7" Kenwood Deck with backup camera
Four 6.5" Kenwood component speakers
Flush mount boost gauge into radio trim
Red led dash lights
Stiffer shifter bushings from amazon
3M Brushed metal radio trim wrap with cup holder from outback
Auto up/down nissan window switch

-Cory

First baja (the only good angle it had)

Second baja in 2013, autotragic transmission and all.

And now for the current lil spit fire:
How she sat after the first wash:

How it currently sits photo
Last edited by starr- on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 16 times in total.
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Starr's photo reference thread / dare I say members journal

Post by starr- »

Updates to come July 13th or 14th (ish) after PRE Racing in Portland is done working on it. Currently has an 07 wrx motor sitting in it bolted to the transmission and motor mounts but everything else needs finished up. Looking at bang for the buck performance options to do now while it is torn apart. Currently considering TVG deletes, down pipe and tune. Headers and up pipe would be nice but may be stretching the price range.
Last edited by starr- on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Looking forward to seeing what goes down! I didn't know you had had a yellow one before...
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Yeah it was only for a short maybe 4 months. Got a great deal on it... didn't like how sluggish it was... sold it for a profit and kept the impreza. Glad to be back!
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Late update post, but got the car back from PRE Racing after about a month.... and still had some problems that needed fixing such as a new O2 sensor and a vacuums leak that caused me a lot of headache. Car still doesn't have its full power though and cuts in and out of power under heavier acceleration (maybe a failing fuel pump?).
Anyways. Sense I got the car I have done a couple little things such as installed the same hella horns and gorilla mudflaps that are pictured above when I installed them on the last car. I also put on a new leather boot with blue stitching, made a custom hitch extension for the dirtbike (pictures coming), and a new yakima roof rack with 56" bars, bike racks and a kayak cradle.

Things to come soon: tires and possibly different wheels. Having troubles finding a set with aggressive tread and white outlined lettering though.

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Exciting stuff!
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

New component speakers are in! Had to do some mild fab work to make front tweeters fit and also cut out a 1.75" hole in the rear door cards. Sound really good right now! Should sound better when I find some time to mount the new 7" deck that has a higher wattage output.
More to come soon!
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

NICE! I just started doing my speakers today as well. I need a LOT of fab work to get these damn JBL's to fit. Ugh oh well it better sound good!
Mike
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Where did you end up placing the speakers? I've been wanting to upgrade mine, but can't find a decent spot that wouldn't affect utility.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I had to replace my speakers a couple months ago (bought the baja & only one was working- two were dead & one was missing wtf). Tried to find a cheap set but realized I'm not that good of a craftsman so I ended up just ordering 3 new OEM ones from the local subaru dealer. Besides, why spend a bunch of time fiddling with speakers when I can just install the fitted ones to just listen to AM talk radio? :lol:
How much modification did you have to do to the connectors & the mounting brackets?
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Most speakers are pretty close if not identical regarding bolt pattern. Mine required drilling 4 new holes but that was it. Just plug and play. Replacing the head unit can be slightly more challenging though. I'm liking where your Baja is headed, Cory!
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

mikeeitup wrote:NICE! I just started doing my speakers today as well. I need a LOT of fab work to get these damn JBL's to fit. Ugh oh well it better sound good!
Mike
Hope you were able to get them installed! What was needing the extra fab work?
anarchy1024 wrote:Where did you end up placing the speakers? I've been wanting to upgrade mine, but can't find a decent spot that wouldn't affect utility.
I am guessing you are talking about the tweeters??? If so, see below!
Guacamole wrote:I had to replace my speakers a couple months ago (bought the baja & only one was working- two were dead & one was missing wtf). Tried to find a cheap set but realized I'm not that good of a craftsman so I ended up just ordering 3 new OEM ones from the local subaru dealer. Besides, why spend a bunch of time fiddling with speakers when I can just install the fitted ones to just listen to AM talk radio? :lol:
How much modification did you have to do to the connectors & the mounting brackets?
Oh I hope they didn't charge you too much! Installing aftermarket speakers (especially 2+ way) is usually as easy as bajaguy mentioned as long as you stick with 6.5".

And thanks Nathan!

Updates:
HVAC controls and din trim painted a dark metallic gunmetal (future plan is to wrap the remaining silver in a carbon fiber wrap)
Installed the 7" deck (still need to do some adjusting to get it more flush)
FINALLY! Got new tires: Yokohama Geolander A/T-S in 215/65r16 ((2017 edit: only got 28k on these tires. Replaced with the G015's)
Also finished painting my dirtbike hitch extension (also in metallic gunmetal) it didn't come out exactly like we had hoped. The original intent was to be able to haul a trailer if needed while the extension was installed. Needless to say, the gap is too narrow near the ball and we should have gone out at angles to allow a trailer more room to freely turn.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Did you make the dirt bike hitch extension? It looks practical
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

starr- wrote:
anarchy1024 wrote:Where did you end up placing the speakers? I've been wanting to upgrade mine, but can't find a decent spot that wouldn't affect utility.
I am guessing you are talking about the tweeters??? If so, see below!
I don't know why, but I thought I saw some subs/woofers mounted somewhere other than the OEM location in the door. Either dreaming or wishful thinking.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

bajaguy wrote:Did you make the dirt bike hitch extension? It looks practical
Yup took about 45 minuets to have it all cut and welded up (brad clark at WWU helped me with it).
The main thing was to be able to haul two dirt bikes if need be