SJR lift in, wheel wells trimmed

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Re: SJR lift in, wheel wells trimmed

Post by sfeather11 »

Say, what did you for your sway bar connecting links? Did you use longer ones or just leave them disconnected? If you used longer ones, what type/brand did you use? I've upgraded my '03 to use '05 springs and have added 1" strut spacers all around, and have been looking for a longer connecting link to compensate for the lift...

Thanks,
Scott
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

The entire subframe is relocated with the lift, so the swaybar moves with the other parts of the suspension. The swaybar stays totally normal in its operation.
varam
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by varam »

Dude sick lift I was debating on a 2" lift do you think there's gonna be any complications with lines and what not? I'd get them from sjr as well
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Saw that you asked me that in Feb, sorry I didn't see it. At 2 inches lift you will have no problem, I did not need to lengthen anything at 4 inches, Subaru has lots of extra line in there, in the front there is a double loop that is clamped down in place which gives you allot of extra. In the rear you just re-bend the hardline down a bit.
adm_wiskyky
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by adm_wiskyky »

Let me start with saying that you have an awesome baja!

And to follow I was talking with a buddy that runs an impreza and he was saying they use adjustable trailing arms and lateral links (?) to adjust the wheel position and fit bigger tires or correct for a lift. Did you do anything with those to compensate for the lift or did the suspension geometry stay fine? I also read about using a drop bracket for the trailing arm as a cheaper alternative.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Sounds like you got some bad or mixed information, geometry was fine with the lift and any proper lift is going to preserve the ability to properly align the vehicle.
Kriss45.acp
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Kriss45.acp »

I need help lifting my Baja. If the original poster or anyone else can answer some questions please let e know on this forum.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

What would you like to know?
ajharl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ajharl »

If I were to go with SJR 2" spacers, a 1" body lift and go from 03 to 04-06 springs, do I need to worry about additional stress on the axle or any other suspension components? Also if it's difficult to do a body lift on the baja?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

I don't mean to sound rude, but you have it all wrong, which I blame on a lack of solid info out there and perhaps because only 4 Bajas are known to be lifted 4" or more. Lets get to what you want done!

So adding up your lift numbers it looks like you want about 4" lift total.

There is no such thing as a body lift on a unibody since the frame is part of the body, a traditional body lift means the body going up over the frame. A suspension lift means making the springs longer, a Subaru is a hybrid of the two but closer to a suspension lift than a body lift.

So to your goal, I would just order a 4 inch lift. It will give a 4" increase to strut height, and drop your crossmembers and rear subframe 3 inches so that your driveline is only 1 inch different and no real issues come up. The rocker panel is now 4 inches higher and your crossmembers are now 1 inch higher from the ground than they are now. That lets you run taller tires to gain say 5" at the rocker pannels and 2" at the driveline.
If you order the SJR 4" lift you are fine with either an automatic or a manual. There is also the new guys that have a 4" lift that I suspect is identical but I have not seen in person.

There is some increased stress on axles and such, but Subarus are tough, I am pumping 420Hp into a 4EAT and big tires and I drive it like I stole it and have yet to break an axle. I might break one but I look at what I am asking, the first version of the truck which is in this thread was only 160Hp into a 5 speed manual. The new truck is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2973