2006 Hard Tonneau cover from Factory

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

dmfran
Scoobytruck Lurker

2006 Hard Tonneau cover from Factory

Post by dmfran »

March 2006 Purchased our 2nd BAJA--2006 Black Turbo (Auto/Leather Interior/Hard cover Tonneau). Subaru was stopping production and our 1st BAJA was a 2004 Silver with Cloth & 5 speed Turbo--so we traded for 2006. Love our BAJA but have a problem with the Tonneau......... Just found your Forum.

Question: Has anyone else with the 2006 Hard Cover Tonneau from Factory had a problem with Leakage -- Bolt Rusting???? Suddenly in February the lock broke & stricker are in pieces. So for now we have no LOCKING system on our cover. Our FLORIDA dealer has been NO HELP!!!!! Other than say it was a bad accessory for the BAJA.
Don
2006 Black Turbo(Auto-Leather-tonneau pkg)
2004 Silver-Turbo (5 speed) Traded on 06.
LOVEMACHINE
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: 2006 Hard Tonneau cover from Factory

Post by LOVEMACHINE »

I HAVE A 2005 TURBO BAJA WITH THE HARD COVER AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I BOUGHT 3 WEEKS AGO SO I DONT KNOW THE WHOLE STORY. IT LOOKS LIKE THE REAR COVER WAS LEFT OPEN IN THE RAIN BECAUSE THE FRONT COVER LOCK AND BOLTS HAVE NO RUST. I COULD NOT FIND ANY LOCK SYSTEM THROUGH SUBARU(I WORK FOR THEM), AND JUST CAME ACROSS SOMEONE ON-LINE THAT HAD A CAM LOCK ALMOST IDENTICAL TO THE ONE THAT WAS BROKEN. I SHOULD BE RECIEVING IT IN THE MAIL TODAY OR TOMMORROW AND WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT WILL WORK OR NOT.
dmfran wrote:March 2006 Purchased our 2nd BAJA--2006 Black Turbo (Auto/Leather Interior/Hard cover Tonneau). Subaru was stopping production and our 1st BAJA was a 2004 Silver with Cloth & 5 speed Turbo--so we traded for 2006. Love our BAJA but have a problem with the Tonneau......... Just found your Forum.

Question: Has anyone else with the 2006 Hard Cover Tonneau from Factory had a problem with Leakage -- Bolt Rusting???? Suddenly in February the lock broke & stricker are in pieces. So for now we have no LOCKING system on our cover. Our FLORIDA dealer has been NO HELP!!!!! Other than say it was a bad accessory for the BAJA.
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

Hi guys, I made ​​myself hardtop. I came up and easy device for locking the hard roof. I was harder to figure out how to lock the fifth door from behind. not connected to the central locking. But I do and what I can do this detailed pictures to show you how. For starters can look here:

http://www.subaruclubbg.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=9123

to view pictures maybe wants registration

http://195.149.248.189:8080/2011-08-08/ ... 20x540.jpg

http://195.149.248.189:8080/2011-08-17/ ... _920x0.jpg

http://195.149.248.189:8080/2011-08-08/ ... _920x0.jpg

http://195.149.248.189:8080/2011-08-13/ ... 35x396.jpg
SUBARU BAJA 2005 2.5L MT 165HP
From Bulgaria / Europe
bgc
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bgc »

They all leak! I bought all new bolts 2 years ago when we got our Baja. I filled each hole with silicon seal after I got them dry. I put a new lock assembly on it. Subaru does not have access to the original locks anymore so take care of what you have.

So far it is fairly dry. Subaru will tell youi that were never meant to be water proof! I keep the outer shell alive with a vinyl seal. Still looks fairly good. The good news for us is that our Baja is garaged.

I love my turbo Baja.

Greeting to all, BGC
offroadohio
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by offroadohio »

If you want a bed cover buy a forester. Make no sense to me why you want a bed but you want it covered???? Caps are even more sensless imo.
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BlueRu »

mladen99 wrote:It was harder to figure out how to lock the fifth door from behind. not connected to the central locking. But I do and what I can do this detailed pictures to show you how.
Thanks for the pics. I'm interested to see how you lock the tailgate.

Thanks,

R
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BlueRu »

offroadohio wrote:If you want a bed cover buy a forester. Make no sense to me why you want a bed but you want it covered???? Caps are even more sensless imo.
I can't take the roof off and dump a load of gravel or mulch into the Forester. It's all about versatility.

R
PenguinSub
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by PenguinSub »

Seriously; it's not as big as a full truck, nor as roomy as a full size car, nor does it have the gas mileage of one of those hybrid cars.

But it's a jack of all trades. It's made to be the best at none, but fair at all. So it makes sense to give yourself some sort of cover for days when you need it.

My 2 cents.
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

Blue 'Ru wrote:
mladen99 wrote:It was harder to figure out how to lock the fifth door from behind. not connected to the central locking. But I do and what I can do this detailed pictures to show you how.
Thanks for the pics. I'm interested to see how you lock the tailgate.

Thanks,

R
later i make picture and show you. very easy is....
From Bulgaria / Europe
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

so that the bark on top I did not lock it:

I used a 2мм metal piece that is attached at the rear of the car and is secured with 2 screws. that the upper edges bent at 90 degrees.
I put the bark latch
the other side is the same way. There are two fasteners.

More complicated to do to lock the fifth door.

It took me almost one day to figure out how to do it and not more than 1 hour to make it happen.

Used Machines for central locking. and fasteners that is usually included.
like this:
http://shopping.bg/sistema-za-centralno ... ne-tda-02#
in my country costs 6-7$
but I got this from an old kit.

Here is a picture of disassembled rear door and installation.

I'll be hard to explain how it works. Because I use google translator.

I'll try.
When you pull the metal rod clipper that is attached to the bottom straight metal rod, SFU stands in front of the button that opens the door handle outside and thus can not open.

powered clipper to be taken from the back door. take off all the plastic back and pass the cable to the back door of the column there is the central locking cable Ise takes power from there.
used red and yellow cable

I hope I translated everything correctly. And this information useful.
From Bulgaria / Europe
BlueRu
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BlueRu »

I think I understand. You added a lock actuator to the latch release inside the tailgate, and it's controlled by the power-lock circuit on the rear door?

Nice mod!

R
mladen99
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mladen99 »

Blue 'Ru wrote:I think I understand. You added a lock actuator to the latch release inside the tailgate, and it's controlled by the power-lock circuit on the rear door?

Nice mod!

R
Exactly.
From Bulgaria / Europe
Blkwolf
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Blkwolf »

Do you guys have the measurements for the bed cover in English i'ld like to try my hand at it