Head gasket issue ?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

staracetiffy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Head gasket issue ?

Post by staracetiffy »

I already own a 2003 Outback and I'm looking to purchase a 2003 BAJA.

I know there were headgasket issues in the early 2000's and am wondering when these were "fixed". Looks like most of the issues were 2000, 2001 and 2002. The potential purchase is at Koon's Ford Annapolis ( on their site) and has less than 100,000 miles. Looks nice !!!

Second question (sort of). If 2003 was a potential "trouble" year, would a local Subaru mechanic be able to detect a potential problem, or is this just a random event.
frogmonk
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Head gasket issue ?

Post by frogmonk »

These head gasket problems were fixed for the most part by 2001, but head gasket problems do arise from time to time and is vehicle specific, and caused by different factors. It would behoove you to practice due diligence by having a mechanic inspect the car for unseen problems.
For example, I have a 2005 turbo that had a head gasket leak. Several moths after its purchase, I noticed that combustion gas was bubbling up through the plastic coolant reservoir. My car never overheated, but I had the head gasket replaced anyway for preventive maintenance.
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

My 05 had the head gaskets replaced under the extended warranty at 89K. The symptoms on mine were an oil leak though.
Have it checked, it will be worth your while.
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Emsanon »

I have an 03 and my head gaskets leaked oil. Got it fixed with the 'upgraded' head gaskets and it should be good for a loooong time. :D
It does seem to be a common issue though from various threads I have read.
Samirr76
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Samirr76 »

Mine did not fail until 195k miles almost. I wouldnt consider that a "problem". If the vehicle has been properly maintained, which mine was, you shouldnt have any premature failure of the headgasket. Sometimes though, its just gonna happen with bad luck.
03 Baja 02 WRX