baja or wrx

Talk about anything here. ANYTHING.

Moderator: cliffhanger

Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

baja or wrx

Post by Nanook »

I've been mulling over a new 2005 baja for a few weeks now. The only one within reasonable distance is a brand new baja turbo/automatic with the leather package. I love the style and spec of the baja but the leather package puts it just over what i like pay but not so far that i don't want it :( . Asking price is ~$28,000.

The other option is a 2003 impreza WRX that a guy i work with wants to sell. 29,000 miles, and in great condition with the upgraded sound system. Regular maintenance taken care of with complete service history and the 30,000 mile service already done. Asking $18,000. He loves this care, but can't keep it because his wife is going back to school. Only issue is that its a manual transmission and I've never driven a stick before.

My question is: is the brand new baja worth two more years of debt. I could really use the better clearance and seating of the baja, along with its cargo bed. But the WRX is going to cost less, and looks like a blast to drive. Any one got a strong opinion?
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

it depends on what you plan on doing with it, the baja has been more than handy since ive gotten it, and i could not imagine buying a car now, it seems as if ive gotten the best of both worlds.

however, if you have plans to race, or just wish to find plentiful/cheap aftermarket parts to make the interior nicer or the car a little faster, it is going to be much easier if you buy the wrx. im not saying that it is impossible to find parts, ive got quite a few on mine, you are just more limited in your options.

is the baja worth two more years of debt? it all depends on you, i would say yes! ive had nothing but fun in the baja, it is a great all-around car/truck/suv, and i enjoy all the attention i get for driving something that not many others have.

unfortunately, in 2006, subaru is discontinuing production of the glorious baja, partly due to low sales, partly due to cost of retrofitting for smart airbag technology. the real culprit is a lack of advertising, but that is subaru's fault, not the baja. the baja is an advertisement for itself everytime i take it out, many want to look at it, explore it and implore of it, and its versatility is better than any car you can buy today. just find someone that has hauled a couch in his crown vic or 800 pounds of rock in his camry.

hope this helps a little, i might sound sort of biased when it comes to the baja, but that is because i have never enjoyed another vehicle as much as i enjoy this one. in the end it is your choice, i just hope you make the right one :wink:
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Find a nice dealer... have em do a dealer locate. My dealer here got me a Regal Blue Pearl sport 5 speed with splash guards and a bed extender from like 200+ miles away free of charge. I paid $500 over invoice plus I got to keep the $1000 rebate (so a cost to me of $500 under invoice)

Alot of times the fleet managers are pretty cool about this stuff.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

Goin with the baja

Post by Nanook »

I checked insurence quotes, its gonna cost me $3700 per 6 months for the wrx !!!. The credit union i'm financing through has a good insurance plan for new cars financed through them so i can get a much better quote on the baja. I also convinced the dealer to take off the $2000 that put the baja out of my range.|

By the way, is there some rule that a car dealer needs to try to sell you on their financing?
"well if you finance through us you'll pay $100 less per month"
ya, for three more years of debt at a worse apr :evil:

so, i'm goin with the baja. A good 21st birthday present to myself, nothing like debt to make you feel like a man. :lol:
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Congratulations Nanook!! Hope you enjoy it like the rest of us are. Post a pic when you get a chance, and be sure to register it in the Baja Registry. Mike
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

w00t!

glad to see you went with the baja! im positive you will like it, as everyone else on here does! greg
370 awhp
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

[smilie=holyshit.gif] that's a lot of money for insurance, how'd you end up paying that much? im the worst driver i know (as far as records) and my insurance is only 1350 every 6 months...
370 awhp
Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Nanook »

I'm a 21 year old single male, with a speeding ticket less than 3 years old. That and i think the alaskan weather adds a bit to the mix, Black-ice and freezing-rain can realy hurt your ability to drive.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Also, Alaska isn't as 'populated" as the lower 48, so they figure that they should stick it to you to make up for the lack of population ( and premiums) Mike
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Funny, we were actually looking at rexs (02 blaze yellows & 03 sonics yellows) at first. Got tired of finding a lot of higher mileage cars, or ones with salvage titles (there must be some kind of record for a car model with soooo many salvage titled cars!!). ALmost bought a blaze yellow 02 (hence the sn-didn't get the car but kept it anyway), then found out it was no longer under warrantee. Bought the Baja used with 2800 miles fro about the same as a used rex with 38000 miles! We checked insurance rates also-really helped tip the scales to the Baja.

Enjoy your Baja hunt!! They are wicked fun vehicles, plus incredibly practical for hauling junk & people...plus they get a lot of attention, since there aren't many out there.