WANTED: Spare lift kit or cable for 2005 Baja

Marketplace for Subaru Baja & Brat related things. Vehicles, accessories, eBay auctions...

Moderators: mikenmel08, 03ClassicYellow

mmerfy100
Scoobytruck Lurker

WANTED: Spare lift kit or cable for 2005 Baja

Post by mmerfy100 »

AAA cut the cable to my spare tire lift while changing my tire and I can't find anyone or the parts to replace it. Tired of driving around with it in my back seat. I'm open to creative options just so I can get it back where it belongs and out of the car interior. I'm in Chicago.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: WANTED: Spare lift kit or cable for 2005 Baja

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there. I've never had to change a spare in my Baja... yet, so I'm not too familiar of how the system works, but from what I understand it's similar to the "suspended via pulley" system on most modern US trucks (which I have changed). That said, if I were in your shoes, I'd see if I could take the crank winch off the body and disassemble/remove the remaining cable left on the pulley and fab up a replacement with some galvanized wire from my local hardware store. Depending on how rusted the rest of the hardware is, maybe reuse it or fab up some replacements (i.e wheel bracket, spring, etc, doesn't have to be perfect, just functional and sturdy).
If you have a roof rack maybe just buy/fab up one of those mounting hubs like on jeeps to mount the spare to the roof rack or something.
It's not really a critical part so you could go without it I guess if you don't mind being towed. Most manufacturers are now ditching the the spare altogether to save weight anyway so it's not like AAA won't be prepared for it.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

There is one listed on evilbay for just over 100.00 + free shipping. I looked under "Subaru Baja spare" and it was towards the bottom. Pic showed a blue turbo Baja missing the front grille (boneyard sales). This is another "Baja specific" part, so it will be difficult to source. Dennis
Subatron
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Subatron »

Hey- I just removed mine and all the hardware and it’s currently in my garage if you wanted it