Stock Radio

Marketplace for Subaru Baja & Brat related things. Vehicles, accessories, eBay auctions...

Moderators: mikenmel08, 03ClassicYellow

BooBoo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Stock Radio

Post by BooBoo »

Does anyone need a 2006 stock radio?

I've just finished replacing my with aftermarket. I'll also have speakers available shortly.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Stock Radio

Post by jaxed »

BooBoo wrote:Does anyone need a 2006 stock radio?

I've just finished replacing my with aftermarket. I'll also have speakers available shortly.
Which aftermarket?

I've got a stock unit, and installed an FM modulator to plug in my iphone... but the sound quality is starting to bug me so I want to go with a new head unit with aux build in. What fits?
BooBoo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BooBoo »

The receiver I decided on was the JVC-KDG340. It fits perfectly. You do not need any "mounting kits" or "trim rings". It fills the hole left by the stock radio exactly.

The JVC has a front aux input. You should have no trouble using your iPhone, iPod or any other compatible external source. It also has satellite capability, is bluetooth
ready (with adapter), and has a plug interface for a CD changer if you want to add it later.

I had also considered a Kenwood (KDC-MP238) and an Alpine (CDE-9874), both of which have about the same features as the JVC. The Alpine claims 16 watts RMS,
the JVC 20 watts, and the Kenwood 22. All of them are supposed to fit the dash without the need for a mounting kit. They all cost about the same, within $25-30 of each other, the Alpine being the most costly.

You'll need a wiring harness adapter. Scosche's number is SUO3B. Metra's is 70-8901.

Good Luck!
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Thanks a lot! I'll check these out.

Been extremely busy lately, but perhaps by mid-Nov I can get a new head unit installed.
BooBoo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BooBoo »

I've now got the rear stock speakers out.

Replaced them with Pyle PLD64 drivers. Had to fabricate a 3/4" spacer to fit the Pyle's into the opening. Used Scosche Accumat on both the outside and inside door surfaces and completely sealed the speaker area with rope caulk. The 3/4" spacer did not allow the door panel to fit back on so I also had to trim out the the existing grille area and put a new grille on the outside of the panel.

So does anyone need a stock receiver and/or rear speaker(s)?