OEM Baja Crossbars, Modified Thule/Yakima Crossbars

Marketplace for Subaru Baja & Brat related things. Vehicles, accessories, eBay auctions...

Moderators: mikenmel08, 03ClassicYellow

WallyGator
Scoobytruck Lurker

OEM Baja Crossbars, Modified Thule/Yakima Crossbars

Post by WallyGator »

For Sale OEM Crossbars Best offer, Thule Yakima Hybrid bars-$60 OBO. The Hybrid's are a combination of Non Locking EZ Rider Towers combined with Thule Bars- They have been bolted to the Thule Bars using all SS Hardware and a custom adapter. All original parts are available for the EZ riders. The towers are spaced so that they fit at the extreme front and extreme rear of the factory rack. Any Questions- Contact Walter @ twomnyhbes@yahoo.com. Located in Poughkeepsie NY. I finally got bold enough to drill and mount Thule 430's to my Scooby.
Attachments
Thule/Yakima Hybrid
Thule/Yakima Hybrid
DSCF0691.JPG (115.77 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
OEM Bars
OEM Bars
DSCF0687.JPG (117.06 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: OEM Baja Crossbars, Modified Thule/Yakima Crossbars

Post by corgimas »

If you do not mind me asking what pray tell would make you want to use thule stuff in conjunction with yakima parts????

why????????????
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
WallyGator
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by WallyGator »

OK, I'll Bite
Not a big fan of round bars- first day pulling off kayaks the saddles rotated and scratched the roof. As much as I tried to tighten... this seemed unavoidable. Thule's Subaru mounts are not designed to fit the Baja. Yakima's were quite tight and strong so I mated the pair- Simple enough. I typically will have three 16' Kayaks weighing over 150 pounds total and this system held them perfectly for long road trips, and I have stood atop the bars without problem while mounted. Wanting to have the option to remove my set up quickly I have switched to Thule Trackers by drilling into the factory rails setting compression fittings and backing with fiber filled epoxy. It now takes less than a minute to swap out bars- one set with three kayak saddles to a plain set that my Thule box attaches to.
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

interesting.....

i have carried 4 boats on my Yakima lowriders without problems...what saddles/cradles are you using???the only piece that i have slight problems with rotating around the Yakima bar is my Malone Stax...just keep an eye on it now more...

just an interesting peculiar Frankenstein build....mating Yakima and Thule....

do you have some pix of the new mount you made???

do you ever make paddling trips towards the east? RI/Mass way? if so drop a line and me can meet up....

rob
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by beancountertx »

Do you still have the OEM crossbars for Subaru Baja? If so, do you have the tool used to install them? 8)
You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Gandhi
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

beancountertx wrote:Do you still have the OEM crossbars for Subaru Baja? If so, do you have the tool used to install them? 8)
this towards me???
the tool is a normal Torx screwdriver...can get it at ace hardware for 7$.....
Kites Kayaks & Corgis