Any recommendations for brake rotor upgrade?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Wrigley
Scoobytruck Lurker

Any recommendations for brake rotor upgrade?

Post by Wrigley »

I've got an 05 Baja sport and the rotors are warping easily. Just hit 30,000 and they need to be turned for a second time. Has anyone upgraded to a higher quality rotor either standard, vented, or slotted? I know that the vehicle is too heavy for the stock brakes but would like to find something better than stock, but no so expensive as racing equipment.
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RickBaja06 »

I have upgraded to Semi Metalic Pads with slotted and drilled rotors.

I bought the entire front and rear rotors and pads for $225.00 from Brakeplanet.

You can see pics on my cardomain site.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2875013

Slotted and drilled rotors do have there flaws. Slots cause a wherring noise during braking and drilled rotors after heavy use and stress can start cracking.

I bought them for the looks more than performance but have found that after 200 miles they have seated nicely and brake performance just keeps getting better with each use and the noise level is also dropping.

Rick
Wrigley
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Wrigley »

Thanks for the info. If they are only $225 I can afford to change them out if they crack.
BajaGermany
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaGermany »

Hey Rick,
let us know more, when driven some Kmiles, about the wearing and performance, I´m very interested in this...
Regards
Chris
Baja Sport MT with LPG
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Poorly Manufactured Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Post by RickBaja06 »

I have run into an issue with the rotors that I purchased from Brake Planet. After a few hundred miles they have started to cause a front end virbration at highway speed. I have had the wheels balanced and the front end aligment inspected.

The mechanic has also inspected the suspension and drive shafts. The problem was narrowed down to improperly manufactured rotors. He believes that they were not balanced after being drilled and slotted. Looking at the drill patterns, some of the internal material that creates the venting portion is partially drilled while other were barely touched. This causes the rotor to be out of balance. Looking closely at the rotor there are no counter weights or signs of having material removed to bring the rotor back into balance. I have emailed brakeplanet and am waiting for a reply.

in the mean time, I have ordered a new set of rotors to replace the front from BuyBrakes.com, they are manufactured by EBC. I should recieve them shortlyand once installed I will provide an update to there quality, both finish and fit. My rear rotors will not be changed, they are drilled and slotted and are working fine as they do not have any cooling vents.

Thanks
Rick
BajaGermany
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaGermany »

Hey Rick, sounds bad so far.
Let us know, how the EBC-Stuff works...
Thanx
Chris
Baja Sport MT with LPG
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Any recommendations for brake rotor upgrade?

Post by davecoon13 »

Wrigley wrote:I've got an 05 Baja sport and the rotors are warping easily. Just hit 30,000 and they need to be turned for a second time. Has anyone upgraded to a higher quality rotor either standard, vented, or slotted? I know that the vehicle is too heavy for the stock brakes but would like to find something better than stock, but no so expensive as racing equipment.
On my 03 Sport, I also had to have the rotors turned twice by 35K. The stock rotors also had alot of grooves ground into in them that needed resurfacing. Next time I need new rotors, I am gonna get some slotted ones. They have them on ebay. Do you reckon the ebay high performance ones are any good?
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

New EBC Rotors arrived today, 1st impressions

Post by RickBaja06 »

My new rotors arrived today, if you recall I bought some cheap drilled and slotted rotors from brakeplanet and after the install I started to get a front end vibration. Made in China pieces of *%$%

Well I recieved my EBC rotors which are dimpled and slotted. 1st impressions. They look awesome, the rotor is powder coated all but for the friction surface where the pads would contact. They even have the OEM tapped threads in the center hub for easy removal if needed.

I contacted EBC and found out that there rotors are manufactured in
foundrys in England and Italy. Upon occasion they will get a few parts from Canada. Just a note, the OEM rotors are marked as made in Canada.

I ordered my rotors from BuyBrakes.com, I had no issues with buybrakes, only with fed-ex.

I'm installing the front rotors this Saturday, I'll report back. Just on part finish and the attention to detail I will go back to EBC for the rears.

Rick
Wrigley
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Wrigley »

I hope they work well for you. Anyone know if drilled rotors only are good for street applications, and that slotted are good for the track? I've seen some info to that effect and wondered if you want/need both drilled and slotted together. I believe I read that the Corvette, various Ferraris, and Porshes use drilled only rotors
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Brake Rotor Upgrade Complete

Post by RickBaja06 »

I just finished installing my new front rotors from EBC. They are nicely machined and powder coated. I purchased the dimpled and slotted rotors from buybrakes.com and would do business with them again.

All issues with wheel vibration as speed was eliminated with these rotors from EBC. Awesome finish, fit and overall quality. Go with EBC is your looking for rotors for your Baja.

Rick
Wrigley
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Wrigley »

Sounds great, thanks for the info!

Matt
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

I got some drilled and slotted from http://www.rotorwork.us

they were 135 for all four...

they've been on for at least 6 months now and they are working great
RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RickBaja06 »

Do you have any increase in brake dust or brake noise?
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

a little more brake dust no more noise
Wrigley
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Wrigley »

That's great to know about the long term use. I didn't want to wait on a delivery as they were so bad and the wife drives the Subie, so I'm trying NAPA's upgraded standard type rotor. It's supposed to be a bit better than OEM. I think they were about $140 for the front pair and $80 for the rears.
I' keep you guys updated.

Matt