Prodrive muffler for baja non-turbo

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Prodrive muffler for baja non-turbo

Post by nacho »

Just wondering if anybody has installed a prodrive muffler on a baja. I am looking to put a prodrive muffler on a baja but when I E-mailed prodrive to see if they made a system for the baja. Was told they do not. I am thinking of ordering one anyway and having the muffler shop mod it to fit the baja. has anybody ever tried this before or would this even work?
any ideas...
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Got me, I am cheap and am waiting for the factory one to fall off first, then try something else. :) Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

I was loooking at the spt mufflers for the 2000-2004 legacy the other day and they really looked the same as the baja. they offered different ones for sedan/wagon though. dont know what the differences are. MAYBE a prodrive for the same application will fit?
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

Thanks for the input. I am still thinking about it. I am planning to ask some muffler shops to get a quote on how much it might cost to mod it if needed. I am not to sure what impact if any will a muffler will do to the engine. I think a muffler is a muffler but I like to hear my engine working but at the same time would like a nice deep mellow sound. If the SPT mufflers look roughly the same as the baja, it might work. Thanks again for the input and I will keep everyone updated on this idea if it happens.
Later, :lol:
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

nacho wrote:Thanks for the input. I am still thinking about it. I am planning to ask some muffler shops to get a quote on how much it might cost to mod it if needed. I am not to sure what impact if any will a muffler will do to the engine. I think a muffler is a muffler but I like to hear my engine working but at the same time would like a nice deep mellow sound. If the SPT mufflers look roughly the same as the baja, it might work. Thanks again for the input and I will keep everyone updated on this idea if it happens.
Later, :lol:
With today's complicated exhaust systems it is really hard to say.

I haven't checked all the parts on the Scoobie yet, like do we have any expansion or resonance chambers before or after the cat, stuff like that.

But that said, ANY exhaust system is "tuned" or designed so that resonance waves in the exhaust help to scavange exhaust gases from the combustion chambers.

Now the mufflers are so far back on todays cars that I don't honestly know how much of an affect they have on this resonance, but I would still assume they have some.

Take an exhaust out of tune the wrong direction and you're going to become less efficient at removing unburnt gases from the combustion chamber.

Doing so will dillute the incoming air/fuel mixture with a less oxygen rich mixture that will not burn as well or "efficiently"

Of course the ECM will attempt to compensate.

I think the changes have to be radical before you would really notice anything in terms of power or MPG or ill effects that would cause a CEL.

But the affects can be seen more directly on simplier exhaust systems, like those on motorcycles without cats. The wrong resonance from a muffler set-up on a bike can kill performance and the right one can greatly enhance it.

Kev
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

Thanks for the input.
promace1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by promace1 »

reviving an old topic. I went will an execeleration (sp?) exhaust for my 05 N/A. Full cat/back. QUALITY build, great product, be warned though, it is pricey and LOUD!
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

How pricey, and how loud? Because inquiring minds want to know.
Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.