Scratch.

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Scratch.

Post by ebbie97 »

Hey all,
It had to happen to me! Last weekend somebody must have been really p'd off at me or my Baja and keyed my passenger door! The scratch goes from the fender to the door handle. In some spots it is light but in others it went down to the bare metal.

I have never fixed a scratch before and even though I have the matching color touch-up paint, I don't think you can just paint it on. If any one could point me to a website or something else (other than the body shop) where I can find out about how to remove a deep scratch, I would appreciate it.
-EB
seafajr.
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by seafajr. »

If it's gone down the metal, as far as I know, you'll pretty much have to have the whole door repainted. Touch up paint never looks perfect and is noticable.
Three weeks after I bought my Baja. My grandmother put a deep two inch scratch on my fender moulding. She uses a cane and always holds onto the car when walking around it to get in or out. She held the cane in her hand at the same time while holding onto the car. I just used touch up paint on it but you can see it if you are standing close. :(
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Yea When I bought My 98 Dakota it had been keyed the entire length- The dealer assured me they would repair it- The Idiot Body guy took a bottle of touch up and painted a line along the entire truck length- What an idiot- THe truck went back the very next day (the delivered it at night to my house- I was out of town at the time- My wife warned the guy that I was gonna be back first thing in the morning!!!) They ended up repainting the entire truck- I guess White is almost as hard to match as Red!!!!
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

If possible, I want to keep the body shop as a last resort. Maybe I can hold off on that for a while, if I can somehow prevent it from rusting. Any suggestions are welcome.
-EB
seafajr.
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by seafajr. »

The only thing I can think of regarding the part that is down to bare metal is to use touch up paint. It'll be noticabel but it'll keep it from rusting.
On the part that's just lightly scratched, you can try buffing it out with a scratch remover.
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. This way I hope to postpone a trip to the body shop.
-EB
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

use light coats and build it up slowly, higher than the surrounding paint, then use a compound to bring it back down even. I had a HUGE paint chip in my bumper on my stang and spent a day fixing it. I can still see it, but most people cant-it was hard to do because it's a darker metallic. Patience and time! Also, use a prep solution like total prep to clean it first to get good paint adherance.
medtec
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by medtec »

There are some good sudgestions here, after cleaning the area with some sort of prep-sol then build up the scatch with several coats I have gone one step further.

Using 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper lightly wet sand in the direction of the scratch ( do not focus presure with your fingertips) then use compound by hand getting most of the sanding haze out, then finish by machine (be careful it is easy to go through the clearcoat, but this will produce the very best result shy of a new paint job).

Sorry to hear another story of some Jack*ss cuasing trouble..Good luck hope everything people have posted helps...
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

1200 is very rough.. i'd use 2000 or 3000 with out a machine you'll be hard pressed to get them out..

here is 2000 grit

have polished out

all better..sorta.. i still wasn't happy..

ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Wow, youve had some great results.

All the tips are great, thank you all. My fear at this point is: "What if I screw up and make it worse?" I should just do it, take my time and deal with whatever comes up.
-EB