skid plates

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Atomis
Scoobytruck Contributer

skid plates

Post by Atomis »

well I was going along a little fast when traversing a mud puddle and found a rock it took off my whole front plastic skid plate and I need to get it covered back up anyone have any sugestions?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Try and make one out of some heavy aluminum. Thats what I am going to do when the new one I have on gets whacked again. It cost me about $80.00 for the plastic one from the stealership, and I don't want to go that route again. Mike
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

I just lost mine last weekend at STPR 2006. I know there are many on here that have lost theirs as well (some twice)! I am also making a custom replacement out of aluminum. Not only will it look cool, it should protect way better than the stock piece.
2005 turbo - WRX intercooler, Samco hoses, GFB bov, 3" Helix catless downpipe, 2.5" SS CatBackEx, front and rear skidplates(for rocks and logs), Westin safari bar, lots of Hella 500's
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Mine has been hanging for months by one bolt. I think the other bolt hole is stripped. I haven't looked closely, What is it made from? Is it made of plastic? fiberglass? Can the dealer re-mount or will they charge me the $80?

I would pay somebody to fabricate one for me out of heavy grade aluminium.

Please help!!!
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

Primitive Racing already makes an aluminum one.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

spazchicken wrote:Primitive Racing already makes an aluminum one.
Price?

Link?
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

3/16" aluminum $235
1/8" aluminum $215

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

spazchicken wrote:3/16" aluminum $235
1/8" aluminum $215

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm

Ahhh Gracias.

I take it that is "Item No 3022"

I wonder what the weight is?

and am I correct in assuming you can change the engine oil and filter without having to remove it?

Definitely worthwhile if that's true and it's not too heavy.

Kev
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

It's definately heavier than the stock ABS piece of crap, but I doubt you'll notice severe performance loss due to it. I have a rear diff skid plate from Primitive for my WRX (Although that's pretty much a universal Subaru part) and it is great and makes a nice jack point in the rear of the car.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

spazchicken wrote:It's definately heavier than the stock ABS piece of crap, but I doubt you'll notice severe performance loss due to it. I have a rear diff skid plate from Primitive for my WRX (Although that's pretty much a universal Subaru part) and it is great and makes a nice jack point in the rear of the car.
I emailed them and they got back to me, said it is 18 lbs.

Can't access the oil filter etc while it is installed, but it's probably still worth it for me in the long run.

I'll look into it more when I have the cash.

Thanks,

K
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Kev M wrote: Can't access the oil filter etc while it is installed, but it's probably still worth it for me in the long run.
K
Will Jiffy Lube be able to change my oil if I get this? I assume by skid plate you are talking about the plastic cover cowling that is underneath and behind the bumper. On my car, that piece is hanging. It looks like the bolts are stirpped off in the passenger side near the rear of the plate. I knew I hit something while Off-Roading the other week. At highway speed I can hear it rattiling back and forth and I this weekend I am going to temporarily rig it with bailing wire.

Currently, does the existing plastic one have to be removed to get at the oil filter? I have never seen the car on a lift, at JiffyLube they always change it in the pit. I have taken it for an oil change at the dealer when I get a coupon.

I definitely need to have the metal one installed. Do I need a lift to install it or can I install it from ground level? I was underneath the car just now in darkness (with my trusty Coleman Flouresent lantern) to see if I could check it out. It looks like there are only a few bolts that hold it in.

Which model of plate will fit the 03 Baja Sport? The one for Legacy Outback? Also, is their rear plate better than the one offered by Subaru? While under the car, I noticed my rear differential is not protected at all...
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

The stock plastic plate does not have to be removed to change the oil.... it has 3 plastic rivots that unscrew and then you can slide forward a little trap door.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Flowmastered87GL wrote:The stock plastic plate does not have to be removed to change the oil.... it has 3 plastic rivots that unscrew and then you can slide forward a little trap door.
I wonder if I could cut a filter hole into the metal plate, (and I guess I need a hole for the oil drian plug) or have them do it?

I am concerned that the idiots at Jiffy Lube won't be able to change the filter if I install the metal plate. I am not concrned with protecting the filter, I Just want to protect the oil pan.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

davecoon13 wrote:
Flowmastered87GL wrote:The stock plastic plate does not have to be removed to change the oil.... it has 3 plastic rivots that unscrew and then you can slide forward a little trap door.
I wonder if I could cut a filter hole into the metal plate, (and I guess I need a hole for the oil drian plug) or have them do it?

I am concerned that the idiots at Jiffy Lube won't be able to change the filter if I install the metal plate. I am not concrned with protecting the filter, I Just want to protect the oil pan.
IF you truly think the people at Jiffy Lube are THAT stupid WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU TRUST THEM TO EVEN CHANGE OIL????

Maybe it's just me, but crawling under my own car once or twice a year to change oil is worth the effort, if only to visually inspect everything else.

Kev
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Subysolutions has one for an OB that will fit the Baja-$189. http://www.subysolutions.com I will get the part number when I get home of you want, I just emailed them for it. I think it has holes for access to the filter & drain plug.