The in-dash CD changer will play MP3 files

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

The in-dash CD changer will play MP3 files

Post by Caaron »

I was shopping for a new head unit for my 2006 Baja because the dealer told me (and I think I read here) that the factory in-dash 6cd stereo wouldn't play MP3 files. So today I took off the bezel and did some measuring (I'm gonna build in a car pc) and after I slapped it all back together I decided to try an MP3 disc I made just for fun. To my amazement it played perfectly, along with several other mix CD's I had recorded on my computer. So I guess Subaru finally caught up with the stereos in the 2006 models...

I'm still thinking about changing to a different head unit though. I want to put in a single DIN unit that has an aux input so I can make space for a 7" in-dash LCD. But it is nice to know that I can play my CD's on this unit until I change it out.

Chuck
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Wow. That is interesting news. Makes me want to find a 2006 head unit.
BajaShinji
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaShinji »

I know this doesn't completely have to do with your subject, but I am a new owner of a '06 Baja. I am trying to get a DVD deck into the car but can't seem to get the dash apart. Any pointers? Thanks.
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

BajaShinji wrote:I know this doesn't completely have to do with your subject, but I am a new owner of a '06 Baja. I am trying to get a DVD deck into the car but can't seem to get the dash apart. Any pointers? Thanks.
Go to http://scoobytruck.com/lib.html and d/l the sport lamp install pdf -- that will show you what to disassemble to get the dash apart.
BajaShinji
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaShinji »

Yep I found it shortly after posting this message and felt rather stupid about it. Thanks. Should be a piece of cake to do.
pdiz

Post by pdiz »

Are you talking about a data disc that contains actual .mp3 files, or do you just mean an audio CD you made from .mp3s (.cda formatted files)? If you're talking about the latter, mine does that, and it's an '05. But it's no big deal because most stereos will play it as it's a real audio CD.
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

I was referring to a data disc with .mp3 files on it.

Chuck
memphisjames
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by memphisjames »

Wow! That's great news. I'll have to make a disc to try this out.
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

memphisjames wrote:Wow! That's great news. I'll have to make a disc to try this out.
You got an '06? Please let us know if it works!
memphisjames
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by memphisjames »

I tried it, and it didn't work. The display looked like it was playing something, but I didn't get any sound.

Chuck, can you be more specific about your disc/files? Maybe my sample rate was too high or something.
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

They are just standard MP3 files. I think it works on mine because it is a 2006, and if I recall, you have a 2005?

Chuck
memphisjames
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by memphisjames »

I have an 06. I just got it in December.
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. Mine is a 2006 that I got in November, so yours should be the same. Mine has the in-dash 6CD player. All I did to create the CD's was to create a mix of .mp3 files using Nero or Roxio to burn them. If that is what you're doing and it isn't working, you may want to try setting it so that it closes the CD after the burn, rather than allowing you to add more files later.

Good luck!

Chuck
memphisjames
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by memphisjames »

Well, I tried again using Roxio instead of the built in XP burning routine. I used the same mp3 files and got the same result. I think my next attempt will use lower quality files. Thanks again for your input.

-James
memphisjames
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by memphisjames »

Drat! 3 tries, 3 failures.

How did you create your files? What program, codec, settings, etc.? Maybe I'm doing something wrong on that end.