Upgrades!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

Upgrades!

Post by Nanook »

I'm thinking of some nice upgrades for my 05-Turbo, but I've very little experience in real world "bang for the buck".

First i think I'd like to put in a sway bar, and a short ram intake. Is there a great benefit to going with Perrin over GP-moto? Is it even worth upgrading, or should i just go for an aftermarket exhaust system with high flow catalytic converters?

What about the Xcceleration.com Stage kits? Any opinions?
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

wow, what a loaded question...
i believe suspension/tires are going to make the biggest difference right off the bat, and they are the baseline for how your vehicle will perform in the future. now, im not talking rollin on iced out dubs or anything like that (although i have seen a baja on 20's), im talking a lightweight, strong rim matched with a good set of road-grabbing rubber. suspension - sway bars are a must, im looking into one for my baja right now, and as for the handling difference ive experienced in other cars - wow!
the first thing i did on my baja-t was the gpmoto sri, and a perrin lightened crank pulley, and it was definitely worth it. i also installed the xcceleration/random tech turbo back exhaust, and cant really say enough good things about it. it is an amazing exhaust, with a great tone, and is a fairly easy, big bang for the buck mod that most people can complete with a little mechanical aptitude and patience.
the xcceleration stage kits were simply to expensive for me when i began modding my baja. they are proven performers, however, and the guys there are great to work with, can answer about any question you have for them. another super nice thing about the stage kits is the fact it comes with a dastek unichip that is tuned for the mods you will be doing, which can save you a good chunk of cash at the dyno.
well, this is no magazine article, so ill stop now and leave you to think... hope i helped a little! [smilie=hellyeah.gif]
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
Baja Turbo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Baja Turbo »

I've got a short Ram for sale in the Buy,Sell,Trade Fourm.I got it from http://www.subysolutions.com If interested PM me or e-mail me at Rdsfrontier@aol.com
GOT BOOST
brujah
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by brujah »

I bought and installed an "Ebay special" CAI on my turbo. It was advertised for a WRX/Sti, but with a little tweaking of the mount for the lower tube, it went right on no problem. I've had it on for two weeks, no CEL's. Sounds great!!!

$50 shipped, can't beat it!
2005 turbo - WRX intercooler, Samco hoses, GFB bov, 3" Helix catless downpipe, 2.5" SS CatBackEx, front and rear skidplates(for rocks and logs), Westin safari bar, lots of Hella 500's
BajaBear
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaBear »

I got the Xcelleration intake, hi-flow cats & cat back. I do deeply dig. I've only ever tested it by butt-dyno, though their website claims 20ish hp?
At time of install-the 3" cat back did not fit up to my stock cats so I got the hi-flows to complete the setup. I'm very glad I did. Their customer service was good.
I've also got the IPD anti-sway bar. My truck feels a bit more sure footed in corners now.
At time of install-Found that the swaybar for the 04 does Not fit the 05. It would've scraped. Was a learning experience for the vender & myself. IPD customer service is also good.
Gonna get my chip mapped but the software manufacturer still hasn't released anything for the Baja.
2005 Turbo
Atlantic Pearl Blue