Can I squeeze out another 1"?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Can I squeeze out another 1

Post by kamesama980 »

What's "safe"?

I wouldn't go any further at all without spacing the subframe, you have to be darn near out of downward travel in the arms. You're already going to go through CV joints at an accelerated rate and unless you've clocked them, the bushings will tear soon too.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Okay, questions for both:
desabrir: What are "multi-link spacers"?

kamesama980: "clocking CVs?". Please explain. I'm well familiar with "Phasing U-joints". Is clocking CVs anything like that? I agree on the spacing down the subframes.
Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

clocking or indexing the bushings not the axles. when you change the resting point of the arms you need to loosen and retorque the bolts that hold the bushings to let the bushings settle at the new norm. Otherwise they'll be under torsion at rest and will tear sooner.

Nowhere in primative's page is there mention of "multilink spacers" there are strut top spacers and subframe spacers. That kit is subframe spacers, they call it multilink spacers because it's for the multilink subframe.

The wear is increased anywhere but straight but it's exponential and the usually mentioned amount is 2" before it gets really noticeable. IE they wear twice as fast at 1", twice as fast as that at 2" (4x), twice that at 3" (8x) etc. (or something along those lines)

Are you the guy that asked in the FB group recently? Basically, you can move the suspension 2" from where the subframe is without undue wear on the axles. stock subframe placement + 2" suspension or 6" subframe + 8" suspension. The suspension can be springs or spacers. That goes for the early years or later years, the later years just start with 1" in the subframe and suspension.

Yes, if you put later springs on an 03 it'll lift it but with 2" spacers you'll be at 3" BUT since your subframe spacers match the strut spacers, your axles are only seeing ~1" so you ought to be OK.

Axle life is not easily defined. "how long will they last" is like asking how long is a piece of string. the damage done by changing height is proportional to the remaining life. that's further adjusted by how you use it, what else is worn out, and their quality to start with.
Last edited by kamesama980 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

double post
-Russell
03 sport 5mt
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Now I understand what you meant. Yes, I have told many "lifters" over on the Isuzu site about relieving the tension on their suspension when doing a lift, or being sure to place the weight of the vehicle on certain parts (control arm bushings) before tightening the trunion bolts. I also found an internet article about "clocking" CV axles. I think they are basically doing what I do when i have to disassemble an end, I usually punch mark the shaft and spider. Dennis
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

desabrir wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:01 pm I haven't been on Facebook in years ... Like 5+ at least.

I'm not terribly concerned about axle life. They're relatively easy to replace and if I get at least 5+ years out of them I would be happy.

I emailed ADF and he said I can go 4" as long as I have a front subframe spacer, steering shaft extension, and 4" hats. He also said the multilink spacer kit is required for 4".

Thanks for you info!
Axle life is relative, not absolute. If the axle would last a year stock, lifted it lasts 6 months. If it would last 10 years, it'll last 5. It's also far more based on miles than years and use... off-roading will take life out of them a lot faster than street driving. even with street driving, lots of highway they'll last longer than in town (they're usually straight (ish) on the highway) but spend a lot more time bent a lot further in town (every corner, parking lot, etc)
-Russell
03 sport 5mt