Valve Cover Gasket Brands

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

carnivious
Scoobytruck Lurker

Valve Cover Gasket Brands

Post by carnivious »

I did a quick search to see if this had been covered but I only see people talking about replacing their valve cover gaskets, not really going into detail about what kind/brand that they use.

I bought my 05 Turbo Auto in 2017(120k miles) and immediately noticed the tell-tale signs of a leaking valve cover (smoke billowing from my hood every time I came to a stop). So, being a fix it myself kind of guy I watched like 4 Youtube videos about how to replace them and I ordered Fel-Pro VS50620R from rockauto and did it myself in a few hours. I thought it was fixed, and there seemed to be no leak for about 2 months.

Well the leak started happening in the same spot, passenger side of the engine. Drivers side was fine but I decided to replace both again, only this time with Subaru's OEM gasket 13270AA190 and 13272AA140
These lasted a little longer, about 6 months before the passenger side messed up again.

I try and give myself lots of room to make sure the gasket seats all the way, and of course I'm replacing the spark plug tube gaskets as well.

I now have 152k miles on my Baja and I'm wondering if I just have to replace my gaskets every 6 months or if there is a certain brand or material of gasket I could get to stop this. It's a headache.

No engine mods, the only thing I have done to this car is lift it and give it bigger tires.

Thanks in advance!
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Valve Cover Gasket Brands

Post by mike-tracy »

Are you using RTV where the service manual says to? I've only had any luck with the OEM gaskets, felpros leak way sooner.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
carnivious
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by carnivious »

I used RTV along the bottom. I had no idea the service manual told me to specifically put it anywhere. I see you’re supposed to put it around the half moons now. And how long have you been on the Subaru gaskets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Did you torque the bolts to spec or just tighten them down?

The next component is a little harder to quantify: how much blowby is your engine making? how clear is the crankcase vent system (PCV)? if the rings are worn and too much blowby is getting to the crankcase, the gasket brand or proper procedure installing them won't help.

My turbo only has a few k miles but my NA has about 30k since doing them and no leaks (there anyway). Same goes for other engines in the fleet: follow the directions and they're usually good for another 100k
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
joedavex
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by joedavex »

If I remember correctly you also need to put RTV around the cam "humps" on the front side also.
I've used the Felpro gaskets, no problems... yet.
They are a royal PIA to put on with the engine in the car. I accidentally lost the halfmoon on the passenger side on my o4 Turbo and it slipped into the head and down the oil passage. Ended up having to pull the oilpan and fish out the halfmoon. Talk about making a big job out of a little one. At least I didn't have to pull the engine :D
Gray 05 Turbo AT
Silver 04 Turbo AT
Black 04 Turbo AT
and assorted other vehicles....
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

joedavex wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 am If I remember correctly you also need to put RTV around the cam "humps" on the front side also.
I've used the Felpro gaskets, no problems... yet.
They are a royal PIA to put on with the engine in the car. I accidentally lost the halfmoon on the passenger side on my o4 Turbo and it slipped into the head and down the oil passage. Ended up having to pull the oilpan and fish out the halfmoon. Talk about making a big job out of a little one. At least I didn't have to pull the engine :D
yes, you do have to put RTV under the front cam caps if you remove them and in the corners for the valve cover gasket. If you do that job, apply RTV very sparingly, if you put too much in you'll block the oil passages to the 1st cam bearing and AVCS actuator... new head.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back